Oklahoma/North Texas Ice Storm 2/17-2/20

WINTER STORM WARNING for Central Oklahoma

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun

NORMAN DOME, anniliated

0100Z: grounds: dry

0300Z: 1/4"-1/2" ice/sleet across all metro OKC

of note, 9am thr morning temp: 70* yet ground cannot accomodate this much ice and sleet in this short amount of time much like a rain downpour. I honestly never thought sleet and freezing rain could come down that hard in the form of a "toad strangler". But this has caught everyone including WFOOUN completely by surprise. Heres an excerpt from the AFD

Originally posted by WFO OUN
TONIGHT CENTRAL AND NORTHERN OKLAHOMA WILL BE CLOSER TO THE JET STREAK AND MID LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS. DEEPER LIFT MAY SATURATE THE DRY LAYER AND ADD SOME LIGHT SNOW TO THE MIX IN THESE AREAS. SNOW AMOUNTS SHOULD BE VERY LIGHT...HOWEVER...GIVEN THE DRY AIR AND LACK OF STRONG LIFT.

I posted this in another thread, but it's better fit here:

All the while, OUN just upgraded the i44 corridor to a Winter Storm Warning with the more-than-expected coverage of sleet and freezing rain. Last I saw, there were more than 20 injury accidents currently across Oklahoma City, with all EMSA (paramedic) units busy. The OUN 0z sounding shows nearly perfect thermal profile for sleet, with a relatively deep low-level freezing layer beneath an above-freezing nose in a strong warm-air advection regime. OUN is forecasting 1/4" ice and 1-2" sleet accumulations possible from Lawton to OKC to Stroud, per latest WSW.

MODERATORS: Please repost this thread as OK/TX Winter/Ice Storm 17-20.

ALL: Any pics, nformation, or opinion you can pass on please post on this thread

Originally posted by CHris Whitehead
MODERATORS: Please repost this thread as OK/TX Winter/Ice Storm 17-20.

ALL: Any pics, nformation, or opinion you can pass on please post on this thread

Hit edit on your original post and rename the Subject.

Good to see OK and TX getting some moisture back.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
Last I saw, there were more than 20 injury accidents currently across Oklahoma City, with all EMSA (paramedic) units busy.

We had the same here in Tulsa. As soon as the sleet hit we were backed up so bad the supervisors were taking calls by themselves (some snagged an extra EMT) and at one point we were Level -7 (7 911 calls holding). Our first call during this time was a 10 car pile-up on HWY 75. No serious injuries, but it was a perfect example why to fasten a car-seat securely.

Originally posted by Mike Gauldin+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mike Gauldin)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff Snyder
Last I saw, there were more than 20 injury accidents currently across Oklahoma City, with all EMSA (paramedic) units busy.

We had the same here in Tulsa. As soon as the sleet hit we were backed up so bad the supervisors were taking calls by themselves (some snagged an extra EMT) and at one point we were Level -7 (7 911 calls holding). Our first call during this time was a 10 car pile-up on HWY 75. No serious injuries, but it was a perfect example why to fasten a car-seat securely.[/b]

I was listening to the scanner and it was all at once . One right after the other and about every elevated spot had one,

There was a bus wreck down by Pauls Valley OK, south
of Norman, where 2 people lost their life. 46 people
were on board the bus. The bus was the only vehicle
involved in the wreck.

Mike

well norman dome manages to screw us over again. Have recieved jack from round 2. im so disappointed. I was sure that if the forecasted round 2 came through Norman as forecasted, that it, on top of the ice/snow/sleet from round 1, would be result in cancellation of classes on monday and my 1:30 midterm exam. I can just about promise you that if this had not happened on weekend, classes would be cancelled.
needless to say im somewhat annoyed.

Looked more like a I-44 blocking pattern to me rather than the OUN dome... but what do I know? :D

Beggers can't be choosers Chris. I'm just glad we got winter precip!

Aaron

Originally posted by Mike Gauldin+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mike Gauldin)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jeff Snyder

We had the same here in Tulsa. As soon as the sleet hit we were backed up so bad the supervisors were taking calls by themselves (some snagged an extra EMT) and at one point we were Level -7 (7 911 calls holding). Our first call during this time was a 10 car pile-up on HWY 75. No serious injuries, but it was a perfect example why to fasten a car-seat securely.[/b]

A little off topic, please forgive me, but what happens when you are that backed up? Do you call in surrounding couties? I am a EMT-I, just wondering how you would handle that, up here in the boonies we have never been that backed up.

We can call in mutual aid from some of the surrounding areas, but those are usually only called in if the call is close to the other services call area. Tulsa Fire Dept. also responds to any life-threating call (cardiac, respiratory, sig. hemorrhage), so sometimes they'll work it until we can get there. Other than that, I'm not sure if they prioritise calls or not and just try to get crews out of the hospitals as quick as possible. I know we've got a call before while we were still dropping off a patient. It doesn't happen very often, they'll page out a bonus for anyone that can come in to work (which is also overtime, so it's like a double bonus... sort of) when they know something like snow is gonna come.

Back