NWS wants comments on new forecasting icons

I like the proposed view #2 with the percentage placed in the image. I like the simpler graphics myself. I had to comment about the sun showing up on the freezing rain icon Proposed View 1. Atleast since dominant freezing rain occurs in the stratiform shield, I don't really think the sun will be out much.

Seems like its unanimous, I too prefer the older icons. The new ones look a little dumbed down to me. Although, the icon that is for 'bitterly cold' probably needs to be changed. It always looked like an upright blue buffalo to me.

The old ones are too complicated, if you ask me. If it wasn't for the accompanying text, I wouldn't understand what half of them depicted. For all I know, the original "Bitter Cold" icon could be a guy walking on the beach. That's bad design.

The new ones look a little dumbed down to me.

Isn't the purpose of an icon to convey a piece of information visually as simply as possible? They're supposed to be "dumbed down".

Well I guess im the odd one out. I would prefer the new ones. A little less complicated look, however they are a little like the ones TWC uses, which I dont like.

I'll keep the current ones also.

BTW Dan, nice avatar!

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Joker!" :lol:

seven...six...two...millimeter...

full...metal...jacket :twisted:

Oh, and, uh...I still like the old ones. (to avoid full-on threadjack)

Icons

Definitly the current ones!!!!!!! Better illustrated!!!!!!!!!

The old ones are too complicated, if you ask me. If it wasn't for the accompanying text, I wouldn't understand what half of them depicted. For all I know, the original "Bitter Cold" icon could be a guy walking on the beach. That's bad design.

Agreed. In my opinion simpler is better in this case.

Back