NWS: "SVR Storm Moving at 115mph" ???

While most other stroms in Texas were moving at 45-50 mph, this storm was moving at 115 mph? Hmmm.

WUUS54 KEWX 200304
SVREWX
TXC259-200400-
/O.NEW.KEWX.SV.W.0020.060320T0304Z-060320T0400Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AUSTIN/SAN ANTONIO TX
904 PM CST SUN MAR 19 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN AUSTIN SAN ANTONIO HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES...
KENDALL

* UNTIL 1000 PM CST

* AT 900 PM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A
SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE DAMAGING HAIL UP TO
GOLF BALL SIZE. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 5 MILES NORTHWEST OF
SISTERDALE...AND MOVING EAST AT 115 MPH.

* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR COMFORT AT 915 PM.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM. IF YOU ARE IN ITS PATH...PREPARE
IMMEDIATELY FOR DAMAGING WINDS...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL...AND DEADLY CLOUD
TO GROUND LIGHTNING. PEOPLE OUTSIDE SHOULD MOVE TO A SHELTER...
PREFERABLY INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING BUT AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

LAT...LON 3008 9893 2991 9891 2998 9846 3014 9860

$$[/b]

Hardly a big deal. It was just a quick selection of points using the interactive WarnGen feature. When it comes down to warnings, time counts.

Hardly a big deal.[/b]

True, because nobody reads the NWS bulletin, but you'd think that when the met took a glance at his pathcast times he would have noticed... It hit Comfort just moments after the warning came out, and was pretty much done by the "arrival time" of 915.

Actually I think they are just having a bad day! Issued a SVR for that county, replaced with a TOR minutes later, canceled the TOR with no mention of the SVR still in effect. Then issued a SVR for the next county, upgraded to TOR a few minutes later but made it narrowest in the path of the TOR! Expanded it WELL to the north and northeast even though the cell would have had to make a SHARP left turn to impact...

http://skywatch.org/sat.png

I think that's taking it too extreme, but you have a point. People only really use the county info. Many offices (like the one in question here) still don't use the polygons effectively, otherwise those would be a good alternative.

I'll agree with Jordan here. They probably had a spotter report and wanted to get the warning out as quickly as possible. The severe weather statement (SVS) following would probably have a more reasonable speed. Whatever the case, people knew there was a severe thunderstorm in the vicinity.

They probably had a spotter report and wanted to get the warning out as quickly as possible.
[/b]

No, they didn't have a spotter report. You'll notice that in the text of the warning. This storm had been showing signs of severe for several hours, so I would hope they weren't caught off-guard.

Back