NWS Radar web presentations will change on Jan. 31st.

Radar web presentations will change on Jan. 31st.

* Effective Jan. 31, the experimental National Weather Service radar web images will become operational. All radar web links will be redirected to the new images.

ON TUESDAY... JANUARY 31 2006 AT 1800 COORDINATED UNIVERSAL TIME
/UTC/... ALL NWS RADAR WEB LINKS WILL BE REDIRECTED TO RIDGE
RADAR WEBPAGES...INCLUDING NATIONAL COMPOSITE IMAGES. IF
JANUARY 31 2006 IS DECLARED A NATIONAL CRITICAL WEATHER DAY...
IMPLEMENTATION WILL OCCUR ON THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY NOT DECLARED
A CRITICAL WEATHER DAY.

Source:
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_sto...d=1041&source=0
HTTP://WWW.NWS.NOAA.GOV/OS/NOTIF.HTM
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/
Mike

I believe all official NWS webpages and links were switched over about 2 months ago. I have not seen the old version in a long time. The local NWS offices have been using them also. I like the new radars although I am not crazy about the basemap colors. I still like COD radar pages the best.

About 4 months ago I was giving some feedback to the TDL group of the NWS with some comments on the new product. I suggest 5-6 minute updates like they usually are and a SR velocity option. The format they were going to provide on the next I was told was going to be every 10-12 minutes. Blah. Glad they changed it.

I don't like the fact that you can't right-click on the radar image and "save picture as" to archive them, even though that's a moot point now that I have GR Level 3, but I didn't like the idea before.

Originally posted by HAltschule
I believe all official NWS webpages and links were switched over about 2 months ago. I have not seen the old version in a long time.

I believe it is mostly the Southern Region NWS offices that had already switched over, since it was originally a SR project. While access to all 88D's is currently available in the new "RIDGE" format, they're not going to be official until the 31st.

Chris G.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle
I don't like the fact that you can't right-click on the radar image and "save picture as" to archive them, even though that's a moot point now that I have GR Level 3, but I didn't like the idea before.

You can still print screen and save the image. You just have to use a photo editing program to retrieve it, and edit out the edges if you want to.

I just wish the popular sites would go back to server-assembled GIFs for loops instead of java applets. Saving a nice pre-assembled loop quickly is not possible the way things are, and applets are always slow to load. Although COD uses the java applets, they are much faster than the ones on the NWS site.

True, though they do have static images available:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/Thumbs/ILX.png
(replace the ILX with whatever NWS office you want)

It seems you lose the nice background, but it's something anyways. :)

Stan, K9SWX

I just wish the popular sites would go back to server-assembled GIFs for loops instead of java applets. Saving a nice pre-assembled loop quickly is not possible the way things are, and applets are always slow to load. Although COD uses the java applets, they are much faster than the ones on the NWS site.
That's one reason I'm still with WeatherTap. I think they're the only ones who still use the GIF loops. I keep it up on a monitor at work all the time so I can quickly see what's going on with the radar. (which worked well yesterday with the strange pop-up storms we had here in IL) Sure takes up alot less system resources than a freaking java loop.

Stan, K9SWX

Do not use the 1hr / storm total precip maps from the new system... The legend is all wrong. I've emailed them but no response.

Do not use the 1hr / storm total precip maps from the new system... The legend is all wrong. I've emailed them but no response.

I E-mailed them about a week or so ago about that. They said they weren't sure what was causing that, as they had a similar issue some time ago which they had fixed. They are looking into the problem.

Chris G.

Back