NWR Question

Dan Cook

EF5
In Macomb, I'm supposedly covered by 2 repeaters. There's one on campus, and one in Burlington, IA.

The Burlington one has terrible reception here, while the Macomb one has crystal clear. But for some reason, warnings for my area never get broadcasted. I don't know if it's due to a SAME code problem or what as I had this issue last year. But it's alerting me to warnings from the Quad Cities, Lincoln, and St. Louis, which I don't care for.

Anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks.

Check with the NWS office responsible for that tower and ask if they are retransmitting warnings for the county you are looking for...

"But for some reason, warnings for my area never get broadcasted."

You'll need to ask the question again then -- you say they are not broadcasting warnings for your county, and then the NWS says they are (I think, I don't know what county WIU is?)

If I read you right - you aren't getting the alert for your county but you are getting alerts for other counties? 1) Do you have a SAME radio? 2) If so - you have it set up incorrectly. If not, the NWS office might not be toning out your county.

- Rob

"But for some reason, warnings for my area never get broadcasted."

You'll need to ask the question again then -- you say they are not broadcasting warnings for your county, and then the NWS says they are (I think, I don't know what county WIU is?)

If I read you right - you aren't getting the alert for your county but you are getting alerts for other counties? 1) Do you have a SAME radio? 2) If so - you have it set up incorrectly. If not, the NWS office might not be toning out your county.

- Rob

McDonnough's the county. I do have a SAME radio, but I'm not sure if I set it up properly as I've had trouble with it downhere last year.

McDonnough's the county. I do have a SAME radio, but I'm not sure if I set it up properly as I've had trouble with it downhere last year.

The NWR system has logs of the SAME transmissions and what radios they have been sent on. The NWS (Quad Cities in your case) can look at them to verify that the warnings are being transmitted for your county on that transmitter. If they are, then it would seem to point to a problem on your receiver.

Have you been able to receive the Wednesday tests? (may not have been done today due to severe weather threat)

Chris G.

The NWR system has logs of the SAME transmissions and what radios they have been sent on. The NWS (Quad Cities in your case) can look at them to verify that the warnings are being transmitted for your county on that transmitter. If they are, then it would seem to point to a problem on your receiver.

Have you been able to receive the Wednesday tests? (may not have been done today due to severe weather threat)

Chris G.

Are they done around 11ish? If so, nope.

Back