Nostalgic music & stormchasing

afischer

EF4
Does anyone have any specific artists or songs that they associate with a particular stormchase or tornadic event that they've seen? Specifically, songs that you were listening to (or were on the radio) while you were chasing the event? I usually listen to a local radio station for up-to-date warnings & reports... so ultimately, the songs they play in between the weather coverage are ones I end up associating with that event. It can create some pretty strong nostalgia when I watch old tapes or when I hear those songs on the radio.

Here are some examples in my case of the more nostalgic ones.

05/05/2002 Russell tornadoes - This was my first tornadic supercell, and "Crawling" by Linkin Park was playing on my CD player
05/08/2002 Florence KS HP supercell - Dino "I Like it" ... hilarious 80s pop
04/29/2003 Kensington KS supercell - gorgeous storm, and No Doubt "Running" was playing on the local station... this is very nostalgic for some reason
05/15/2003 Shamrock TX after-dark supercell - "Time of the Season" by The Zombies... eerie!
06/12/2005 Jayton TX storm - Muse "Hysteria"... had just purchased the CD
04/06/2006 Manchester KS tornado - "Who Am I" by Casting Crowns ... this is a Christian Rock song that I had to look up and find out what it was
02/28/2007 Blue Mound tornado - Belinda Carlisle "I Get Weak" was on the radio, lol

I also vaguely recall some chase on TVC where "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell & Michael Jackson was playing in the background! That was pretty eerie too, and I always think of TVC when I hear that song.

Anyone else have some?

Crackly Mexican radio...it makes me nostalgic because it is the sound of a lonely desert road in southern Arizona or New Mexico. When I hear it, lightning photography in remote locations is on my mind.

I also associate certain music with chase trips. It ends up as sort of the 'theme music' in my mind for a past season.

I listen to Contemporary Christian, so many of these names may not be familiar to some.

2001 season - Steven Curtis Chapman 'Speechless' album
2002 season - Steven Curtis Chapman 'Greatest Hits' album (in my truck almost the entire trip)
2003 - Rebecca St. James 'Transform' album, Rich Mullins 'Songs 1 and 2' albums
2004 - SCC 'Speechless' again
2005 - SCC 'Speechless' again - Listening to 'Whatever' during the first Spur, TX tornado and 'I Do Believe' during the mutivortex a few minutes later. Also some Third Day and Mercy Me mixed in.
2006 - As I had a car-full that year, I played my entire MP3 mix (300+songs) low volume for some background music - so 2006 didn't really get a 'theme song'.

2007 is looking like more SCC and some DC Talk.

"Music" played in radio and nature at its best...
*Running for toilet to throw up*

I wouldn't keep anything less than Hans Zimmer, John Williams, David Arnold, John Powell, Christopher Franke etc. approriate for that.

Last year we listened to a lot of the Guess Who because we lacked CD choices and now whenever I hear any of their songs, memories from that trip come back to my mind. I had to buy their 2 CD anthology set because I enjoy their songs.

26 May 2003: Urban Trad - Sanomi
All tornadoes: Urban Trad - Sanomi again
Thunderstorms: East 17 - Thunder
Also, during all events, I probably associate situation with any track from Twister Soundtrack(Unfortunately it is not available in Estonia so I don't have one, just remember from the movie)

Mine aren't so much particular songs as particular albums. Chasing with Andrew McDonald throughout May and very early June 2005 we seemed to always flip on certain albums at good times. My personal favourite was a Jane's Addiction album called Strays which I had only bought a few weeks earlier despite the album having been out for a couple of years hehe. Whenever I play that album now, especially the first 4 songs, I get taken back to the plains and it actually enhances the already great music. We had some Australian comedy albums as well which got a good workout. Also had some Foo Fighters, Living End (Aust band, exceptionally good and we have ALWAYS had good luck when they have been played on radio in Australia in all our numerous chases over the years), Led Zeppelin, Rage against the Maching, Worlds best beer songs ;) etc etc. Most of it is exceptional driving music and given we did about 19000miles from memory it came in handy. Will be taking some of the same music over this time around. Can't wait till April 27!!!! and best of luck to all of you in your chases this season and hope to get to meet a few of you over the 5 weeks or so we'll be chasing.

"Music" played in radio and nature at its best...
*Running for toilet to throw up*

I wouldn't keep anything less than Hans Zimmer, John Williams, David Arnold, John Powell, Christopher Franke etc. approriate for that.

Now that's what I'm talking about. Throw in a little James Newton Howard and you have the perfect chasing mix.

Ahhhhh! Music... my other passion!! I'm one of those guys that I've actually cancelled trips because my radio wasn't working. I always have a case of cd's to break out on those lonesome drives across the vast prairie's. During the heat of the day as the chase unfolds, I'll throw on some Americana/Classic Country like Johnny Cash... I walk the Line, thats when music was music!! and of course when it comes to progressive country, I like The Wailin' Jenny's, Fred Eaglesmith, Buddy Miller, can't go wrong there!

Then as the night unfolds, the chase winds down as the anvil crawlers dance around the sky... thats when the chill music sets in, like Zero 7, Massive Attack, the more spacy stuff from Yo La Tengo, sometimes interspersed with some classical music! Gotta love it!

Rocky&family

I hate country music as a basic principle of my life, and I don't know who the artist is, but the song "Time Marches On" was playing as I saw my first tornado. I think it came out in 1994. I've only heard that song 2-3 times since, but it always reminds me of that moment.

This was the track listing from the last chase CD I burned. It retained some favorites from a couple of years ago, along with some others that seemed appropriate. Yeah, some of them are cliche...doesn't mean they're not great songs.

1: The Perfect Storm Score - Coming Home From the Sea
2: U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
3: Kansas - Dust in the Wind
4: Neil Diamond - Soolaimon (there's a line in the middle..."wind in the plain, dance, once for me)
5: Blues Traveler - Great Big World
6: Tracy Lawrence - Renegades, Rebels, and Rogues
7: Clint Black - A Good Run of Bad Luck
8: Bob Seger - Against the Wind
9: ACDC - Thunderstruck
10: CCR - Have you Ever Seen the Rain
11: Blood, Sweat, and Tears - Go Down Gamblin'
12: Blues Traveler - Decision of the Skies
13: Blues Traveler - Crash Burn
14: Garth Brooks - The Thunder Rolls
15: Sting - Brand New Day
16: Sting - Fields of Gold
17: Bob Seger - Turn the Page

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon holds a special place in my heart for chasing, also. Partially because of the association between it and the tornado scene in The Wizard of Oz when doing the whole sync-up thing, and partially because of the great use of it on our DVD from the 2004 season.

Ok, now I'm itching for this year's trip.

Back