North Webster, Indiana WSR-88D is down

I'd like to let everyone know that the North Webster, Indiana radar (located between South Bend and Ft. Wayne) will be out until further notice. It has been down since Friday. So anyone chasing NRN IN tomorrow or moving into that region may find themselves 75 to 110 NM from a WSR-88D. Just thought I'd provide a heads up.

Why is it that radars always seem to go down just before a severe weather day arrives? LOL.

Originally posted by George Tincher
Why is it that radars always seem to go down just before a severe weather day arrives? LOL.

Well, I know one way. One time back in 1994 before a severe weather event I went to put the DYX radar on generator power. However I forgot to switch it to standby mode first, and when I made the switchover the whole site went down. It was an hour before maintenance was able to get there and put the RPG and RDA back online.

I thought I knew the radar like the back of my hand, but that was a humbling lesson in the importance of using a checklist to avoid missing those tiny but important details!

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Vasquez+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tim Vasquez)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-George Tincher

Well, I know one way. One time back in 1994 before a severe weather event I went to put the DYX radar on generator power. However I forgot to switch it to standby mode first, and when I made the switchover the whole site went down. It was an hour before maintenance was able to get there and put the RPG and RDA back online.

I thought I knew the radar like the back of my hand, but that was a humbling lesson in the importance of using a checklist to avoid missing those tiny but important details!

Tim[/b]

Ouch :oops:

Back