New way to gain weather warnings? or abuse your cell phone?

I think it is an excellent idea to alert people via cell phone, but I think the NOAA weather radio is still an excellent resource. The problem is that people take advantage of this resource. They don't want to hear the siren go off or if they are elderly which is the case a lot here in Nebraska, they either don't know how to work the radio or turn it off to avoid the noise. If they are already in bed and not paying attention to the weather, their cell phone would most likely be on. And for people in rural areas without cable only recieve weather information for the closest big city which is Denver or Omaha unless a lot of severe weather action is predicted for this area (Example: Ogallala, Lemoyne, Keystone, etc.). Also, for Amber alerts it would be great. I think the more people have a chance to get to safety the better, right? And as far as paying for it, I do not agree with a cost for this option, that would be like charging people for the tornado sirens going off or an emergency broadcast for any reason. People should have the chance to protect themselves or look out for others.

Cell Phone Warnings

A TV station in Little Rock is offering a targeted calling system that it touts is better than NWR. It only costs $6 a year and it provides a phone call from their chief meteorologist if the subscriber is involved in a warning. Pretty good set up, if you want to pay to hear a mechanized recording of a TV Met, and, if the phones are working, and, if the call up system isn't so overwhelmed that the storm is past by the time you get the call.

Personally, I'll stick with NWR where I know the warnings will be available ahead of the storm, and without having to worry about phones being out. Plus, I only paid for it once when I bought the radio, and I don't have to worry about any more subscription fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back