New NWS Radar output?

While I think the new backgrounds are pretty "neat", I also prefer the black backgrounds, mainly for simplicity puposes. I find the backgrounds to make radar viewing a little more confusing, or at least not as easy as with a constant background color (e.g. black)...

Originally posted by Rockwell Schrock
The NCAR RAP site has always had topo backgrounds for radar images; just select \"gray-shaded terrain\" under \"Background,\" then click on a radar site.

Do you ever notice the bumps in the terrain influencing the radar echoes? It would be a good way to see how terrain affects the storms.

I'm not really seeing what the difference is between the "short range" and "standard" is, except the topo. map. I was expecting Level II data or something... Almost every office streams L2 data, and it wouldn't take much to generate that into an image for their station, and send it to the NWS NEXRAD gif server for all to view...

Originally posted by rdewey
I'm not really seeing what the difference is between the \"short range\" and \"standard\" is, except the topo. map. I was expecting Level II data or something... Almost every office streams L2 data, and it wouldn't take much to generate that into an image for their station, and send it to the NWS NEXRAD gif server for all to view...
If the NWS streamed NEXRAD gifs for free, how would places like OU and Purdue make any money selling the data? ;-) I don't hate the topo map, but I don't see it really adding any value either...

Ben

Originally posted by Ben Cotton+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ben Cotton)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rdewey
I'm not really seeing what the difference is between the \"short range\" and \"standard\" is, except the topo. map. I was expecting Level II data or something... Almost every office streams L2 data, and it wouldn't take much to generate that into an image for their station, and send it to the NWS NEXRAD gif server for all to view...
If the NWS streamed NEXRAD gifs for free, how would places like OU and Purdue make any money selling the data? ;-) I don't hate the topo map, but I don't see it really adding any value either...

Ben[/b]

LOL... I guess I got lucky... I got in good when the CRAFT project started, and just setup my server/LDM to pull data from some universities. The only agreement that I had to make was that I was not to use it operationally... But there were no restrictions on the data such as making gif images, reselling the data non-operationally, etc..

Yeah, it looks like they added topo and shortened the range. Surfing through that NWS site though, they did add storm relative velocity images, which is definately good (but again, already available from places such as COD).

"If the NWS streamed NEXRAD gifs for free, how would places like OU and Purdue make any money selling the data?"

They are not supposed to make money - they are supposed to recover costs... Since there are _no_ restrictions on the distribution of Level II data there is absolutely no reason for NWS offices not to have some of that online.

Back