NCDC's Online Storm Events Database

Just an FYI, I was checking out NCDC's Storm Events Online Database and found that some events were not listed on there that were published in Storm Data. I brought this up with NCDC and was told that the online database is the Storm Data data :)D). So, if anyone uses this databse just note that some reports may not be listed but that are listed in the Storm Data database. It doesn't look like a huge problem, as I only found a couple of examples (not that I was checking every single day---but it's a problem that it is inconsistent). I will let everyone know of any changes/fixes that I hear of.

I too have found inconsistencies in Storm Events, and recall finding one day in particular where tornadoes were recorded on the wrong day. As near as I can tell, the errors seem to be few and far between, but it's hard to know a lot of times, as many events are difficult (if not impossible) to verify using another source.

It's been a real mystery in this "modern" day of online and quick transfer of information from one source to another that issues like this still go on. There is a ton of inconsistency in how the NWS handles storm event documentation and how complete this information truly ends up being presented to the public. As a lengthy thread previously stated, these consistencies will likely continue. It's pretty sad to see that information available on storm surveys and details is less complete (in many cases) than information provided 20 years ago.

I have heard back from NCDC and they aren't sure why there is a difference b/w the databases. However, they are switching to a new database system in the future and hopes are that will fix the problem...timing for the switch is not known to me. But hopefully it's soon.

Back