National Geographic -- Twisted Sunday

I haven't seen any discussion of this, at least recently, so here's a reminder.

Another (well two actually) National Geographic tornado program is coming up this Sunday, the 18th of December.

National Geographic Channel's Twisted Sunday is about to hit with two high-velocity world premiere programs. Explore the world of tornado hunters on Twister Chasers and climb aboard a homemade tank to experience a spinning vortex from the inside on Tornado Intercept. See how Mother Nature reacts when people fail to flee a tornado more than two miles wide. And find out whether or not an armor-plated Ford pickup can withstand a direct hit from what some call, \"the finger of God.\"

Awww, the "finger of God"?? Must we endure non-humorous Twister references? C'mon, Nat'l Geo. I mean, really.

I suppose I'll watch anyway.

Originally posted by Scott A. Kampas
And find out whether or not an armor-plated Ford pickup can withstand a direct hit from what some call, \"the finger of God.\"

If that's referring to an F-5, I think we all know the answer to that :)

Bump.

Reminding myself and anyone else that means to record this.

I looked ahead on my Dish Network DVR. Looks like if you start at 8pm eastern for 3 hours of recording you'll get it all.

1st hour - TIV Intercept (new)
2nd hour - Twister Chasers (new)
3rd hour - Secrets of the Tornado (old)

oh man - I'm laughing my butt off because the Outlaw Chasers made it into this program ... my brother and I met them one day, and coincidentally - so did my mother in a completely different location on the same day. We have quite a story but I don't want to post it online. Seeing them on here is just too funny.

Seeing that tailgate brings our entire conversation back now - - -

Maybe I'm over analyzing these shows - but I just hate it when they don't stay true to the date and event and show chasers on one day and then cut to video of a tornado or event on a completely different day or year!

Maybe I'm over analyzing these shows - but I just hate it when they don't stay true to the date and event and show chasers on one day and then cut to video of a tornado or event on a completely different day or year!

Me too-and how they showed the June 12th footage before the June 9th footage and made it sound as if the 12th happened before the 9th (referring to the 2nd hour). At least it was a good chance to finally see some 2005 chase season footage on my TV screen instead of just little .wmv clips online.

oh man - I'm laughing my butt off because the Outlaw Chasers made it into this program ... my brother and I met them one day, and coincidentally - so did my mother in a completely different location on the same day. We have quite a story but I don't want to post it online. Seeing them on here is just too funny.

Seeing that tailgate brings our entire conversation back now - - -

Who are the outlaw chasers?

OK, OK....don't bite my head off just because I felt like commenting and giving my opinions on the show. I just watched the 1st two hours of the programming and I have a few comments.

Firstly, who is the "yahoo" from California that thinks driving into tornadoes in his vehicle will be safe because of a little armor. Sorry folks, but just because Josh Wurman says it's OK to go in front of a tornado doesn't mean it's safe and/or won't flip your vehicle. Tractor trailers and boxcars in tornadoes get thrown around like matchbox toys all of the time and he is lucky he did not get into a powerful enough tornado or he would have some problems. When I was chasing this Spring, I was behind the TIV for several storms. I'm glad I did not follow him. From what I saw on the show, it does not seem that he is that experienced or educated in this field (I thought he would have been an experienced, veteran chaser or part of a University research team). Nope. And this is no place for someone who is not experienced or educated on severe storms. Nat. Geo. must never have had a Met. check the terminology before giving the go ahead to running the show. The TIV guy was telling us that this tornado could be an "HP Tornado". "HP Tornadoes are common out here". HUH. I know what he is trying to teach the audience but what's an "HP tornado" Meteorologically speaking? No such definition. It does not exist.

Second, Josh Wurman being featured was nicely done and he seems like a good guy. Well qualified and probably a pleasure to chase with.

Thirdly, the "Twister Sisters" came across as smart, safe chasers. I've read there bios before and on this show they seemed to know a lot about severe storms. I liked the decisions they made and the respect they have for the storms intensity. The one thing that made me cringe was when those people hopped within inches of the power lines. Man, one little brush or vapor flash and they would have been DOA. Next time, wait for the power to be cut or drive the 5 miles to go home the other way. Whoa.

So, 2 out of the 3 groups were very good to watch. Hopefully the TIV Guys will stay safe and think of a safer way to document tornadoes.

Go ahead...start chiming in but be nice to me.

Since I became a storm chaser I've been less and less interested in watching TV programs about them. Weird.

Is TIV any more stupider( :roll: ) than a chaser going 80 MPH on a back road just to get footage?

I admire the guy for being able to pursue his passion and still set limits.

Back