Nat Geo: "Inside the Mega Twister" about the El Reno Tornado

Thanks for the reminder!

Hoping for the best. :)

But...
N.G. has taken a decided turn for the worse over the last year or so. I fear a Discovery-style hypefest, with a "High Risk" of dramatical bullshit. :(

There's a "pre-release" on Y.T.
Not as bad as feared, with some sober analysis by those who were there, and a reasonable explanation of the storm's motion and scale.
It also features a fair amount of video I'd not seen before.

The hype and noise factor isn't off-scale, but is a few levels higher than it really needed to be.

Worth a watch, IMO.

It's already aired over here in the UK - it was a good watch - more emotive than scientific. However, it was quite a tough watch too, especially from a chaser perspective.

I thought it was well done. They really spent a lot of time and effort to tie everything together. Hopefully we all remember to give the storms a little wider berth on those high risk days.

I too thought the show was pretty good. I'd not heard about what was on the Samaras' video before, so it was interesting hearing about it from Gabe. The compiled video accounts from the different chasers was awesome too.

I just watched the version that's on YT, as it hasn't aired on the Canadian version of NatGeo TV yet (via Bell Satellite). I thought it was well done, and Gabe, Tim, Heidi, Brett, Brad, et al. nailed their interviews! The show did well with emphasizing & explaining the reasons why chasers were in such danger with this particular tornado, as well as the factors that contributed to the tragic deaths of the Twistex team. I was surprised that no mention was made of the other chaser fatality, but understandably the focus was on Tim, Paul, and Carl. Overall, I didn't find the presentation over-the-top, inappropriate, or terribly inaccurate in any way. :)

"Inside the Mega Twister" should premiere on the National Geographic Channel on December. 6th at 10 PM EST. in the United States. I haven't yet seen a website confirmation. I have seen a copy that was briefly online, and it is very good. I am looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com
Hi Bill! I hope all is well with you. A quick question: Is that your video of the gang waiting for initiation at the gas station in El Reno? (specifically around the 3:00 minute mark). I know you were there, but I didn't see you in the brief segment(s) shown. Thanks.

Hi Bill! I hope all is well with you. A quick question: Is that your video of the gang waiting for initiation at the gas station in El Reno? (specifically around the 3:00 minute mark). I know you were there, but I didn't see you in the brief segment(s) shown. Thanks.

Derek, I am not sure if that was my video. I was with that whole group of chasers though at times I was wandering around taking pictures/video. I did submit video clips to National Geographic, and I know they used the video I shot fleeing southward on 81 as the tornado was approaching from the west. I was filming out the window to the west before dropping the camera to hold on as I was hit with the circulation. In the production, it seems like the video was taken by Mike Bettes crew but it was actually my video initially. They were just to my north and we had similar views. It is possible that there were some clips from the gas station mixed in with my submission. At present I have no way to check as my main computer, video tapes etc are packed away for some house repairs.

Back