NAACP

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything black leaders and NAACP should rather act as a leadership role, raise money, and get volunteers down to that area instead about naggin' on no blacks in charge?

Benjamin and others, you will be pleased to know that the NAACP is indeed raising money just as suggested above. If anyone would like to contribute to their relief efforts, you may do so here:

https://www.naacp.org/disaster/contribute.php

True that ... they are, and I don't mean to be dissenting to anyone, I'm just as frustrated as everyone else. Sigh. I have put my monies towards Red Cross already and I'm following Mr. Bob Scafer in taking classes at the local American Red Cross

Check it out people ... http://www.stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic....t=8171&start=15

I must encourage everyone that they should take local courses in disaster relief even if their schedules won't allow for them to go down to NO ... better to be safe than sorry ... better to be prepared.

Jackson questioned why Bush has not named blacks to top positions in the federal response to the disaster, particularly when the majority of victims remaining stranded in New Orleans are black: "How can blacks be locked out of the leadership, and trapped in the suffering?"

What in the heck? Isn't the MAYOR of New Orleans African American?

The reasoning behind this all is just odd. I am definately NOT racist, nor do I agree with racism, and yet this seems a little ridiculous to me to be making claims like this.

As if the government didn't have enough rebuttals to make while coordinating the largest relief effort in history of Red Cross/FEMA, now they have to address the concerns of the NAACP.

:Sigh: :( Nothing is ever easy. Hopefully somebody has a stroke of genius soon to stop all this stupid finger pointing.

...Alex Lamers...

Jackson questioned why Bush has not named blacks to top positions in the federal response to the disaster, particularly when the majority of victims remaining stranded in New Orleans are black: "How can blacks be locked out of the leadership, and trapped in the suffering?"

What in the heck? Isn't the MAYOR of New Orleans African American?

The reasoning behind this all is just odd. I am definately NOT racist, nor do I agree with racism, and yet this seems a little ridiculous to me to be making claims like this.

As if the government didn't have enough rebuttals to make while coordinating the largest relief effort in history of Red Cross/FEMA, now they have to address the concerns of the NAACP.

:Sigh: :( Nothing is ever easy. Hopefully somebody has a stroke of genius soon to stop all this stupid finger pointing.

...Alex Lamers...

What i really wanna know is where is this Mayor, yes its unfair to compare him to a certain other mayor from 9/11 but come on. I have yet to see this man on TV, is he REALLY even in New Orleans or some house eatin steak dinners 100 miles away?

A good example is the Detroit tornadoes several years ago which some of you undoubtedly remember. Most of the middle-class suburban whites whose homes were destroyed had insurance. Many more of the African Americans in the city of Detroit lacked insurance, and as a result, lost everything. Resources make a huge difference in the impacts of disasters, and unfortunately in the U.S. race is strongly tied to resources.

Which tornadoes are you talking about? The only tornadoes that have struck lower DET Metro would have been on 7/2/97. An F2 ripped through Highland Park, which is pretty close to downtown Detroit. If that's the case, the majority of that whole area is lower class homes, with a few neighboorhoods actually being upper class.

I don't like it when people say "white" people have "insurance" and can afford to protect themselves... This is only because the people that can afford to protect themselves have a JOB. There is equal oppurtunity for all in this Country... And for that matter, there is poor blacks AND whites (which some people seem to forget, especially the NAACP). There is a lot of well-off african americans too!

I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

For those watching the NBC/MSNBC/CNBC... Who was the guy who just made his political statement by saying that Bush does nothing for black people? Mike Meyers look very surprised by what this guy was saying... I'm surprised NBC didn't pull the audio and camera from him before he was done, though I see that they did cut him off (or he kept talking about the camera switched). Distasteful at best.

I suppose it is natural in a situation like this to start placing blame. It is a way of dealing with frustration and anger even if the thought process is illogical. There probably are numerous sociologists that will write journal articles on the event impact. This is not the time to be pointing fingers; it is a time to gather forces and get the job done. Anything else is purely distraction and political posturing. This is not a black and white issue...It is a human issue. There are black people as well as white, hispanic, and others that are stuck in the city. Our leaders need to focus on the problems at hand and deal with everything else when that mission is accomplished.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

For those watching the NBC/MSNBC/CNBC... Who was the guy who just made his political statement by saying that Bush does nothing for black people? Mike Meyers look very surprised by what this guy was saying... I'm surprised NBC didn't pull the audio and camera from him before he was done, though I see that they did cut him off (or he kept talking about the camera switched). Distasteful at best.

According to this topic Kanye West (conway was close lol)
http://stormtrack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8348

Which tornadoes are you talking about? The only tornadoes that have struck lower DET Metro would have been on 7/2/97. An F2 ripped through Highland Park, which is pretty close to downtown Detroit. If that's the case, the majority of that whole area is lower class homes, with a few neighboorhoods actually being upper class.

I don't like it when people say "white" people have "insurance" and can afford to protect themselves... This is only because the people that can afford to protect themselves have a JOB. There is equal oppurtunity for all in this Country... And for that matter, there is poor blacks AND whites (which some people seem to forget, especially the NAACP). There is a lot of well-off african americans too!

EDIT - I did a little more searching and it was July 2, 1997. There were articles subsequently about people in the city faring much worse and having a harder time rebuilding because they did not have insurance, while most in the suburbs were able to rebuild fairly quickly.

ORIGINAL POST:
Nick, I am not sure of the exact date, but I will paste in parts of an article from USA Today in a Google search (unfortunately, the archive does not show a date). It was the day people died being blown into Lake St. Clair. Note the article mentions both the city of Detroit and Grosse Point Farms, so I think that supports my recall that the storm affected both rich and poor areas.

As to your comments about not liking what I said, I didn't say it to make you like it. But if you think that "there is equal opportunity for all in this country" your are incredibly naive. Starting in the first year, a black baby is twice as likely to die as a white baby. That's equal opportunity?!? Schools, job access, transportation - none of these offers equal opportunity. Did the people that can't afford a car have equal opportunity to escape the hurricane?? (He said, struggling to keep an increasingly political discussion vaguely on-topic.)

Here are excerpts from the article:

Seven killed as severe storms, tornadoes ravage Michigan
DETROIT - A string of storms thundered across the Midwest, uprooting trees, turning freeways into ponds and killing at least seven people. Among the dead were three children and two adults who had sought shelter in a gazebo that was blown into Lake St. Clair.

The gazebo was lifted from the water's edge of Pier Park in the affluent Detroit suburb of Grosse Pointe Farms. The Detroit News reported Thursday that at least four of the five victims were related, including an infant girl and boys age 2 and 8. The fifth victim was not identified, the report said.

On the east side of Detroit, witnesses said what appeared to be a tornado lifted a house off its foundation and tossed it several feet into an alley.

Timothy Petty said he and another man helped a woman out of the entrance of what used to be her basement stairs.

"I was scared to death," Petty said. "I've been in Detroit for 32 years and I've never seen anything like this."

Detroit suburbs reported numerous buildings damaged. Water levels rose as high as car windshields along one section of Interstate 75. At Tiger Stadium, the storm blew large sections of tar paper from the left-field roof out onto the field less than an hour after the Tigers beat the New York Mets 9-7.

John,

Okay... Yes, it is indeed 7/2/97. However, the Gross Point fatalities were due to >100MPH straight-line wind gusts associated with the supercell as it propagated toward the lake. Stormtrack is no longer a place to discuss politics (and civil rights falls straight into that category)... Therefore, I ain't gonna get on this subject much.

But if you think that "there is equal opportunity for all in this country" your are incredibly naive. Starting in the first year, a black baby is twice as likely to die as a white baby. That's equal opportunity?!?

No... You are talking about poor, in-the-ghetto people in general. There is no "race" stamp when it comes to being poor and dying at a young age. It's up to the individual person to make the decision on whether or not he or she wants to make it in this world. Now, if your poor... Go apply for a job at BK or McD's, no?

Anyways, no longer talking politics ( :roll: ).

John,

Okay... Yes, it is indeed 7/2/97. However, the Gross Point fatalities were due to >100MPH straight-line wind gusts associated with the supercell as it propagated toward the lake. Stormtrack is no longer a place to discuss politics (and civil rights falls straight into that category)... Therefore, I ain't gonna get on this subject much.

But if you think that "there is equal opportunity for all in this country" your are incredibly naive. Starting in the first year, a black baby is twice as likely to die as a white baby. That's equal opportunity?!?

No... You are talking about poor, in-the-ghetto people in general. There is no "race" stamp when it comes to being poor and dying at a young age. It's up to the individual person to make the decision on whether or not he or she wants to make it in this world. Now, if your poor... Go apply for a job at BK or McD's, no?

Anyways, no longer talking politics ( :roll: ).

I only mentioned the Grosse Point fatalities to identify the storm. I know they had nothing direct to do with the issue we were debating.

As to your "No" comment - Sorry, but yes. From the National Center for Health Statistics:

White infant mortality rate: 5.8 per thousand live births
Black infant mortality rate: 14.4 per thousand live births

Source: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr53/nvsr53_05.pdf, Table 30 on page 94. MORE than twice as high. And no mention of "ghettoes."

OK, end of political discussion. We need a good neg tilt trof moving across the Midwest to get us back on topic. If it happens (no sign soon!), just keep the tors in open country after all this week's mayhem.

one is a "looter"...the other is a "finder"

you decide...

to be fair...I heard the photographer says they did "find" the stuff...
Since we have absolutely no background info to go on, other than the photographer's cutlines, there is no way to come to an intelligent or educated conclusion as to the circumstances surrounding each of those photos. Do we know if they were both coming out of the same store? Do we know for sure that the couple didn't just get their food from a neighbour? Do we know for sure that the lone guy was not a looter? It is wholly possible that one was indeed a "looter" and the other a "finder."

To come to a conclusion without knowing the background of each photo only reveals a specific agenda on the part of those making the conclusions.

I hear a lot of moaning and bitc*%$#, but I don't see anyone from the complaining groups coming out to condemn the snipers and low-lifes who delayed a full response by at least two days -- forcing the government to set-up massive security in advance of the relief groups.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back