Mystery on satellite image - Eastern Arkansas

Flew over that area this afternoon... here are the pics. It's really late so I can't elaborate much (and I haven't really read this thread yet) but I have to agree with the assessment that it's dry dirt. From the air it looked very much like bare unirrigated fields that you'd see in far west Texas. Maybe the rice fields are being dried out?

There was tons of cirrus and some haze, washing out the contrast, and it's not that good a camera either, so bear with me.

Route of flight and synopsis of two sample pics
ricearea.jpg

Exhibit A -- Fair Oaks, Arkansas (intersection of U.S. 64 and U.S. 49), looking southeast, 5:59 pm CDT, 34000 ft
ricefield1.jpg

Exhibit B -- area 10NW Des Arc, Arkansas, looking southeast, 6:05 pm CDT, 34000 ft
This really shows the contrast between the really bright area (left) and regular-looking greenery (right)
ricefield2.jpg

Orientation of Exhibit B using Google Maps
ricefieldix2.jpg

Time to get some sleep. American Eagle flat out cancelled the evening flight from DFW to Tyler, stranding myself and 50 other passengers at DFW, so I hooked up with a couple of guys (also bumped) who were in "rent a car to Tyler or bust" mode -- fortunately it worked out. We got to Tyler only 90 minutes after the plane should have arrived.

Tim

Back