Music for storm chasing DVDs

Hey all,

I have seen a lot of your DVD's already and I came across with this; I am not familiar with the music you're using in these storm chasing DVD's you're selling. Is music your own production or you're using music from the internet? I am not sure if its legal to use music from a famous bands around the globe.
Do you need to pay copyrights to use some songs? I also haven't noticed anything about music used in DVD like "music copyrighted to.." or similar text in some DVDs. I don't want to come across with the laws if I may use some music in any DVD or video someday.

If there is no problem with it, I'd appreciate it if you could also post some links where such excelent music could be found.

Thanks for the info!

A lot of the music people here use is self composed using various means I'm pretty sure. A good (cheap) way to get a lot of different tracks is Sony Cinescore, which basically lets you create a soundtrack of your own setting a few options, etc. Your best bet is to do a google search for Royalty Free Music and see what you can find. Almost always you'll have to pay a few hundred bucks to legally obtain music of quality that someone else has done.

Using music from bands without paying (or for indies, permission might work) IS illegal, which confirms your suspicions. To use bands work from here in the US, you're looking at paying at least $250 or so per track which is a low end estimate as well. You can sometimes find good deals if you do deal with those guys quite a bit, but the cost for 1 or 2 of the major bands tracks will cost you as much as 200 tracks of royalty free music would cost. So its not practical for small-time operations, that would include guys like me and you :p, to get anything from the major record labels.

Hope I helped clear it up just a little bit :)

He's absolutely right. But yeah, unless you have permission (preferrably in writing) or it's royalty free music, or you made it yourself, don't use it, it's stealing plain and simple.

I always got a kick out of chasers that would throw a fit if anyone dared to grab one of their images and post in on their own website or forum, but at the same time had no qualms about sticking someone else's music on their chase video. Talk about double standards! LOL

A favorite site of mine for Royalty Free music is http://freeplaymusic.com/ , they have a large library and as long as you don't make profit from your vids you can use the music directly from the website.

If you plan to make profit you will have to buy a cd or purchase the music online.
Actually that's not the case. The only time you don't have to pay for FreePlays licensing is when you don't plan to show the video outside of your own eyes. If you put it on a DVD or show it in a public setting you are technically required to pay the licensing fee. You'll notice a lot of the terms for which they say you have to get a license lists non-commercial type of settings. This is a common misconception of royalty free music that people often fall for. Just because you aren't planning on any commercial type ventures doesn't mean you can just use the music. :)

I've been using SmartSound Quicktracks, a plugin for Adobe Premiere. It lets you set the exact length you want a track to last and it creates it for you. Each music 'theme' has multiple variations available so you can change it up from scene to scene and still keep the same feel. The music created is royalty free for use in your projects.

http://www.smartsound.com/premiere/index.html

Sony ACID is the answer you seek.. go to sony media website and check out all the loops..

Fred

Actually that's not the case. The only time you don't have to pay for FreePlays licensing is when you don't plan to show the video outside of your own eyes. If you put it on a DVD or show it in a public setting you are technically required to pay the licensing fee. You'll notice a lot of the terms for which they say you have to get a license lists non-commercial type of settings. This is a common misconception of royalty free music that people often fall for. Just because you aren't planning on any commercial type ventures doesn't mean you can just use the music. :)

You are bang on, I was dead wrong!

I was just reading through their terms of use policy.

I read something saying you can show it friends (section 6) and family and I guess I just assumed non-commercial or revenue generating fit the bill but I guess not.

Sony ACID is the answer you seek.. go to sony media website and check out all the loops..

Fred

I have that and wish I never bought it. It is sony acid pro 5 or something. I thought I'd save myself money in the long run by spending over $200 on it, but was never able to put together one single track that I liked. I also always felt it was hard to remember all the ones that would work with each other and then find them later. I wanted to take a bat to the computer at one point.

I catch a break as I have a buddy of mine who writes/composes his own techno tunes and allows me free run of all his music. I've used them in several projects including Storms of 2006 and Lubacca; The Storm Tracer Saga. Its good stuff and free for me!

http://www.danigarza.com/

Music for DVDs

I compose and perform all of the music on my DVDs (the two I have produced so far). I use a series of vintage synthesizers and a sequencer to put together basic soundtracks to my work. I am no Hans Zimmer or Sean Callery but it gets the job done and there are certainly no worries about copyright.

Here is an example from my 2005 hurricane DVD:

http://www.hurricanetrack.com/posters/dvd2005large.wmv

Back