Moderators Needed

Anyone who would like to serve as moderator may throw their name into the hat here by replying. A public vote to determine a winner will be held October 28 thru November 3.

When replying, please briefly list your weather background (2 to 5 sentences) so it can be added to the election announcement.

The duties of moderator will require you to participate on StormTrack at least every few days. This includes overseeing discussions to make sure they are courteous and non disruptive, as well as participating as time permits in the internal decision making processes.

We also need at least one moderator that lives in the U.S. but not in the Central Plains region. This is to have at least one moderator that won't be out chasing during the U.S. day hours when many of us are out chasing.

Brandon Sullivan:

Hello All

I am a self educated Midwest Storm Chaser. I plan to study operational meteorology at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. In addition to the science of weather phenomena, I also chase to help with disaster preparadness and emergency management, and community safety and awareness. I am on the forum very often, and enjoy communicating with other individuals who share my same passion for weather. I have FEMA Certification in anticipating hazardous weather and assesing community risk. Thank You All..

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony Lyza:

I have been chasing in the midwest for two seasons now. I will be a freshmen in college in 2008, studying meteorology at either University of Oklahoma, Valparaiso University, or Northern Illinois University. I check the forum consistently everyday and would love to assist in this chasing community. Thank you.

Dan Cook:

I have been chasing off and on since 2004 with more frequency in Plains chasing the last two years. I graduated WIU back in May with a History degree/Geography minor. I check the forum multiple times during the day and would love to give back to the community.

Jason Boggs:

I have been chasing storms since 1998 and started chasing for a local TV station in 2001. I participated in Tim's Vasquez's weather school back in 2002. I also participated in the NWS severe weather workshop in 2007 and spoke about my involvement in the Childress, TX tornado of May 9th 2006. I log onto StormTrack almost every day and would be glad to help make it a better forum for everyone.

Jesse Risley:

I've been chasing since 1998. Most of my meteorological background comes from either university courses (physical geography/weather and climate) or leisure reading. I currently teach Geography and other social sciences courses at the secondary level. I've also attended numerous workshops and conferences hosted by EMA or NWS offices, in addition to working with the American Red Cross Disaster Assessment Team. I read the forums almost daily and would appreciate the opportunity to continue making StormTrack a premier site for weather and chasing related information.

Thanks!

Martin North:

I have been studying severe convective weather for 20 years. I am a member of the Tornado & Storm Research Organisation and of the Royal Meteorological Society. I log onto and view Stormtrack every day....and I chase in the States every year. I would really like to become more involved in storm research stateside. The Central United States is the worlds 'capital' for convective research and chasing...and Stormtrack is the premier forum in this field

I would very much like to assist and would be my chance to begin to give something back to you guys.

Dan Neal

Have been chasing since 1998. Meteorology experience include, ESAS 1110 Intro to Meteorology, ESAS 1115 Severe and Unusual Weather, ESAS 2110 Intermediate Meteorology, and currently Severe Weather Analysis all offered at COD. Been chasing all over the United States, but have not been to the plains since 2002 because of schooling and baseball. I am a frequent in this forum and always try to insert my two cents when applicable. I have also recently taken and passed FEMA IS-00271 course in Anticipating Hazardous Weather and Community Risk.

Thanks for the opportunity. Dan.

As a reminder, we are still accepting "nominations". If you feel that you have the time and desire to keep Stormtrack running smoothly, and you have ideas to improve the forum, you are strongly encouraged to put your hat in the ring. This is a good opportunity to get involved in the storm chasing community, and it's a chance to maintain and improve this great chaser resource on the web.

*shrug* Might as well, I suppose. (sorry if that doesn't show enough determination for a nominee)

I'm a young'n, but I think it could do the board some good. Despite being only 20 years young, my interest is pre-Twister/WX Worx/non-paper maps/kids who's parents have fat wallets. Dad was a spotter, and good friends with a well known local meteorologist (Ed Kieser), so I certainly had the interest handed to me at a very young age.

I'm currently studying Earth Sciences at Parkland College in Champaign, IL (the little brother to the U of Illinois) with plans to transfer next year with a major in Meteorology from either the U of Illinois or Valparaiso University with plans of heading into severe storms research.

I've been working with Ed Kieser at WILL AM/FM/Radio at the University of Illinois (http://will.uiuc.edu/), starting as a weather assistant in the office at age 15. Some of you listened to our live streaming on March 12 2006. Since then I've branched into different areas, working as an assistant video editor and videographer for their production company, and as a technical director for the evening weather broadcasts, where I will be beginning as part time on air talent in a month or so.

If nominated, to put it quite bluntly, I'd love to help get rid of some of the trash on the forum. I know at least couple people on this forum think I'm a prick, but I feel like the rules on this forum (namely forecast/chasing) which there aren't many of, are not that hard to follow, and I don't have a problem calling people out when they fail to see the big bold writing before they post. If I manage to somehow get voted in, my main focus would be trying to return some quality to the parts of the forum that the veterans used to use so frequently. With such history, it's a shame to see so much noise scare people off from using the board during a severe weather event.

I think I've gone over my time limit (I suppose now I'm the one not paying attention to guidelines)... if anyone's still reading and doesn't already find me annoying, I suppose a vote in my name would be a good plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been interested in weather since I was a kid. Especially during the times my parents would pick me and my brother up saying "We have to go, tornado is on the way" and making a mad dash out of a mobile home to my aunt's house. Since then, I was always so curious to what a tornado was. In irony, every time there is a tornado warning in my area now, I tend to just run outside and chase that storm instead of taking cover with the others.

I live in the hills of Indiana, and I try to chase around here...but its just hard because of the hills, so I don't chase as much.

I've also been a chat moderator/board moderator for six years when TechTv was around. People found me mostly in the chat room moderating the late night chats. It was a lot of fun. When the conversations seem to die down, I always found something to spark them back up. I always had fun doing it.

For right now, weather is my hobby, a way to get away from every day life. I am hoping some time down the road I can make a life out of it. If elected to moderate the boards, I'll help out anyone with questions to best of my abilities, ensure that the rules are enforced, and that everyone's experience is a good one. :)

Thank you,
Grady Joslin

My only concern with nominating myself was that I've kept a relatively low profile on this forum. However, after talking it over with a couple of people, I've decided to throw my name into the hat.

I have a BS in Physics and Math from the University of Arkansas and a MS in Meteorology from OU. I'm currently working on my PhD with Harold Brooks, Kevin Kloesel, and Kelvin Droegemeier - still at OU. As mentioned in a previously thread, my research does involve severe weather environments and climate change, but my main passion is actually mesoscale environments of all kinds (severe thunderstorm environments, hurricanes, winter storms, heavy rain events, etc) in the present climate. I'm a self professed weather weenie and would much rather spend my time in the operational environment examining weather maps than the research environment deriving things.

I began chasing as a ride-along when I was 14. in western AR, eastern OK, and SW MO. I continued chasing here throughout my high school and undergraduate studies. Since I've started at OU, teaching and research responsibilities have inhibited my chasing ability, so I would be around to moderate during most severe weather outbreaks in the plains.

My post total is not high and that is mainly due to most of my conversations taking place offline via PMs and one-on-one conversations which make there way here via those with whom I've conversed.

PM me if you have questions or concerns.

Gerrit Gulden

I have been into weather since the Age of 14. Started in the skywarn program when I was 20 and have been doing so ever since. My weather knowledge has been developed with the use of Skywarn Meetings, online research and also the motivation to eventually Be enrolled into a weather school. I was just featured as "Fall Spotter Highlight" for the national Weather Service of Pocatello,ID. I consider myself a good nominee cause I visit Stormtrack Everyday unless I am on Vacation, during those visits I participate in the latest weather & chasing threads along with the Chaser bar and grill. I am knowledgeable of all Rules involved with StormTrack and its Various forum threads and do my best to report any possible Violations to help keep stormtrack a Great resource for Stormchasers and weather watchers alike. I do not live in The midwest, therefore would be a great addition to the moderators List since I wont be as active as those in the Midwest/great plains, etc. Typical Chase seasons for myself is from May-September, yet out of those month I will only have about 15-20 active days which basically turn into just 1-4 hours each day, still those days I make sure to Get to stormtrack to see whats new.

If you have any questions/concerns or have any other inquiries please PM me.

-gerrit gulden

zach chappell

I have loved weather since I was 2 My mom would turn on the weather channel thinking I would go to sleep and instead I was hooked.I stayed up watching it and never went to sleep when TWC was on.I am 16 and This year 2007 I have chased my first alone chases Before 2007 My mom would drive and I would direct.I have a good forecasting knowledge as I have shadowed on and off going on 3yrs now with My local National Weather Service.After highschool I plan to try to get into either Oklahoma weather school,Grandforks,Fairbanks one of the 3.
I would love to help stormtrack out in anyway I can because I think stormtrack is the number 1 chaser resource out there.

Update on election

* Requirements. We intend to choose at least 3 and possibly 4 moderators this round. Experience, expertise, and a history of maturity and courtesy are the assets we are looking for. As David said, we want at least one candidate who is not on the Plains. Also we are relaxing our requirement on participating every few days in hopes of attracting candidates with expertise and experience. An OU graduate who likes to hang out on Stormtrack all day Saturday and Sunday definitely earns our consideration.

* Salary. We don't make enough revenue to pay any salaries, but I will send some Stormtrack T-shirts to thank you for volunteering. I hope to get our advertising revenue back on track and I do intend to start paying moderators a small token payment if I can get our income past the break-even point. We really need advertisers.

* Deadline. Candidates have until October 31 to nominate themselves. If you have positive or negative comments about a candidate, private-message me directly; do not post in this thread.

* Terms. All moderator positions will expire annually on December 31 (we will skip that this year since it would be disruptive). Multiple terms will be possible according to a process that has yet to be decided.

Back