Message from Scotland

Anonymous

I have been reading all your posts since I heard about Katrina and my symapthies are with everybody affected as here in the UK we just cannot comprehend the enourmity of such a storm. There have been no calls here in the UK for people to donate/help. I dont know if this is because America has told UK government they can cope financially without aid or not but if asked to help out I know we most certainly will. I dont know where you guys even start to clean up/sort out such devestation but I wish you all good luck and hope that everybody affected gets the help they so obviously need.

Great News

Thanks for your thoughts and I think that the President will soon ask for some kind of help from our friends across the pond..

god knows we consume plenty of your spirits ....

god bless you .... and the USA

As the board's resident native Scot and British citizen - this message from a guest was received with particular poignancy by me.

Thank you, whoever you are, for your outreach across the pond.

From what I am hearing on the news on TV at home now - it sounds like a plea for international aid won't be far away.

Karen Rhoden

scotland(with_cross).gif
wtp_gr.flag.jpg

I have been reading all your posts since I heard about Katrina and my symapthies are with everybody affected as here in the UK we just cannot comprehend the enourmity of such a storm. There have been no calls here in the UK for people to donate/help. I dont know if this is because America has told UK government they can cope financially without aid or not but if asked to help out I know we most certainly will. I dont know where you guys even start to clean up/sort out such devestation but I wish you all good luck and hope that everybody affected gets the help they so obviously need.

Thank you. Thank you so much.

As I understand it many countries have offered assistance. I have verified offers from Canada, Russia and Venezuela. I believe others such as Germany and France have done so also.

However, it seems these offers have not been taken up.

I believe international charities such as the Red Cross require their American arm to make a request for disaster relief before they will make public appeals (I heard this of the German Red Cross). I've only seen any mention of a Hurricane Katrina Fund at the UK Salvation Army.

Considering the enormity of the ongoing crisis, requiring rescue, medical and refugee assistance, I hope the U.S.A., whether at government level or charity organization level, will take up offers of help if they are at all useful.

So, don't mistake the silence from the mainstream media. America has many friends ready to provide direct material and financial assistance.

Quote from www.redcross.ca :

“The Canadian Red Cross has received hundreds of call from Canadians wanting to help the people impacted by this disaster and will accept funds designated for Hurricane Katrina.â€￾

We are mourning for the southern US here in Canada too.

Anastasia
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Back