• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

May 11 Major tornado event in Lubbock Texas!!

The year is 1970... 36 years ago this evening.

On May 11th, 1970, a devastating tornado struck Lubbock. The tornado, actually the second of two that struck the city that night, touched down around 9:30 in the evening southwest of downtown and moved northeast, causing terrible damage along its path, until it lifted around the Lubbock Municipal Airport shortly after 10:00 pm.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lub/climate/Local_...ado/lubtor.html

This was one of the key events in helping Dr. Ted Fujita in developing the tornado F scale!

This very minute 36 years ago, one of only two F5 tornadoes to strike a downtown central business district took 26 lives and injured 1,500 others. Being born, bred, and raised here in cotton country it makes it a significant day in more ways than one. I thought about hookin'em downtown to get a picture of NTS tower earlier on, it still leans, but I was hard up for something to eat and it was time for my feedin.

Back