Map Room Troubles...

Nick,

Per the current rules:

(7) Chase topics spanning multiple or ambiguous dates are prohibited, such as "FCST: This Weekend". Map Room is chronologically organized and is dependent on exact dates. Pick the most representative calendar date and post your message there. Commit to a date, and if it changes you can always move to another thread or start a new one.

In the past, if you remember, there were threads in the old Weather and Chasing forum with titles such as "Pattern change coming" or similar. These essentially served the same function as you suggest -- a thread for "long-term" convective forecasting and discussion of synoptic-scale evolution as seen in the models or other sources. Personally, I don't see a reason why this wouldn't be okay now. As Glen noted, most of the "long-term" forecasts are just model interpretations anyway, unless you know a lot about teleconnections, global circulation processes, etc, and can anticipate synoptic-scale feature placement that differs from the global models.

4/22/06 - 4/27/06: LONG-RANGE: CENTRAL STATES (started on 4/18/06)...

As I'm sure you know Nick, since you undoubtedly are familiar with the map room rules, you cannot have a non-date specific event in the map room. I did, however, note on several occasions last spring that a few threads fired up in W&C for long range forecast potential (7-10 days out) - such as the development of a longwave trough in the western US - which is often a favorable pattern for synoptic scale events to develop that might lead to severe weather events. Such discussions then don't become date specific until a reliable synoptic pattern starts to emerge out - most often in the 3-5 day lead time frame at best. Since the thread titles require 1) a specific date, 2) a specific region, then imo threads shouldn't be allowed beyond the predictability range for events on that spatial and temporal scale. A few folks seem to agree with me apparently - so it's more a matter if Tim feels this is agreeable/beneficial for the board as a whole and if moderators have sufficient interest to enforce it.

Glen

I realize that it's not permitted in the Maproom, and I didn't know if it was still permitted in Weather Lab... So, that is why I asked if we should have a place for it...
Ah, well I can go with that. There certainly should be a place for such discussion. I just don't think the Map Room should be that place.

Back