Macksville,Ks tornadoes on June 15

Macksville,Ks tornado on June 15: the largest of 2009?

Hi all
I was reading the last news of Dodge City NWS and finally I saw the reports of the beautiful Macksville,Ks supercells I observed by radar on june 15th.
Taking apart 2 weak tornadoes, it speaks about a very large tornado: something like 3/4 mile wide. Maybe that could be one of the most large tornadoes of 2009, or maybe the largest one as well. Actually I don't remember another tornado so large in 2009.

"There were several reports of tornadoes touching down in Southwest Kansas on Monday afternoon. The first tornado was a brief touchdown in an open area about 5 miles north northeast of Dodge City at 426 pm. The second touched down at 527 pm about 5 miles south southeast of Dodge City and was on the ground for about 1.5 miles with a path width of 120 yards. The storm that spawned this tornado also produced another tornado ten minutes later at 537 pm about 4 miles southeast of Dodge City. Another tornado developed around 556 PM approximately 6 miles southwest of Belpre and dissipated around 600 PM four miles southeast of Belpre. This tornado was rated EF1 in intensity. The strongest tornado of the day touched down aobut eight miles southwest of Macksville and passed within 3 miles of the city of Macksville. It was a multivortex tornado with a damage path as wide as 3/4 mile and was rated EF2 in intensity. Preliminary paths and intensities of the tornadoes are attached."

061509_Macksville.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrea,
The Lone Grove, OK tornado in Feb. likely remains as the largest, and strongest this season. Macksville is definitely in the top 5.

Andrea,
The Lone Grove, OK tornado in Feb. likely remains as the largest, and strongest this season. Macksville is definitely in the top 5.

Are you sure Aaron? I remember the Lone Grove tornado, and surfing on the web I found that tornado's widest path was measured at ½ mile wide.

Are you sure Aaron? I remember the Lone Grove tornado, and surfing on the web I found that tornado's widest path was measured at ½ mile wide.

The damage width was small for the intensity of the tornado but it was definitly the strongest. I traversed the entire damage path and I've never seen destruction on this level in person. I would say that 1/2 a mile wide is pushing it as far as width goes. My guess was more like 1/4 of a mile.

Yes, guys, as regards intensity I completely agree with you as the Lone Grove tornado was the most intense. Actually I was talking about its width.

If it's confirmed that Macksville tornado was 3/4 mile wide it could be the largest one of 2009. Does anyone else remember any other wider tornado in 2009 season?

These recent posts reminded me of Jesse Risely's one on the 19th that DDC acknowledged a tornado south of Kinsley that day and would do a report/survey. I've been checking their web site since then but haven't seen it yet. Any word on when that may appear?

Yes, guys, as regards intensity I completely agree with you as the Lone Grove tornado was the most intense. Actually I was talking about its width.

I know this is a thread about tornado size, but as far as intensity goes I think the April 10, 2009 EF-4 that hit Murfreesboro was as intense as the Lone Grove tornado and the damage surveys by the NWS actually rate the winds up to 170 MPH which is a higher end EF-4 than the Lone Grove event.

I realize I'm picking bones because when we get to this level of event the damage surveys are highly dependent on home constructions standards, which homes and structures they hit, the inconsistencies inherent in different humans conducting the investigations, and a myriad of other factors.

Back