Looking at a new camera need reviews.

Hey everyone I am looking at getting a canon sx30is. What does everyone think of this camera is it good for lighting shots? How about film? My old one get used a chew toy for my puppy and plus it was like a $200 walmart special. Any feedback would help!! Thanks!!!

Canon is coming out with a 6D mk II before the end of the year. If you can wait, you will probably find some killer deals on the current 6D which is an incredibly capable DSLR. If you're capped at 1,000, a used 6D and a Rokinon 14mm 2.8, IMO, will get you the MOST bang for your buck, and will produce considerably better images than a point and shoot. However, if you're interested in the simplicity of a point and shoot and don't feel like getting extra lenses, the Canon PowerShot G series are very, very good. Olympus also makes a phenomenal mirrorless camera for landscape photography.

Hey everyone I am looking at getting a canon sx30is. What does everyone think of this camera is it good for lighting shots? How about film? My old one get used a chew toy for my puppy and plus it was like a $200 walmart special. Any feedback would help!! Thanks!!!

I don't see the SX30 having a remote release option. That's pretty much a deal breaker when shooting lightning.

You might consider a used DSLR for a few hundred. If the thing gets drowned or blown over, you're not out a bunch of money.

Set aside a hundred or so for a stable tripod.

I cut my teeth in the DSLR world with a Nikon D60. Caught my first lightning and many more after that. Can be found all day for $200 range on craigslist.

Amazon:
Get a ML-L3 wireless shutter release. Prob $10.
Get some Wasabi brand EN-EL9 batteries and a charger. Again super cheap. Lightning night suck up juice fast.

Lenses:
I started with and still use the 18-55 kit lens. Its ok.
Sigma 70-300. Great lens for lightning that's long distance.
Rokinon 14mm f2.8. <-- favorite

Most, if not all of this gear can be had for under your budget, but as mentioned, a tripod is key, something stable, not one of those shifty amazon kit tripods. Looks for Manfrotto or Gitzo, or in my case, I use a Vanguard Alta Pro 663AT with a GH-100 pistol grip ballhead. Love this tripod, I'm 6ft4 and can view thru at eye level.

I've since upgraded to a D5200, but now I use both cameras when out chasing bolts on a twin mount for my tripod.

Good luck!
-M

Back