Live streaming

Francis

EF1
I've been trying to find a thread somewhere about this but couldn't find it anywhere so here it goes. I've been looking at some GoPros, not too sure I want to be entering the "live streaming" realm just yet, but I had a few questions if any of you have any experiences with this please let me know:

1) As far as GoPro's recording with a laptop goes, is there a lag time? The last time I bought a cheap dash-cam (not GoPro) it lagged incredibly between the camera and the computer.
2) Is there another way to record video with a GoPro rather than on a laptop or MAC?
3) Is GoPro the way to go as far as dash-cams for video recording?
4) Which video camera or dash-cam camera would you recommend in the 100-200$ range?

I've been looking at this one: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00IU1G1HC/...20&ascsubtag=4a251a2ef9bbf4ccc35f97aba2c9cbda

Don't know if it's any good as I have never used a GoPro before, I already have a Canon Rebel but it doesn't take very high quality videos (720p HD I think) + I obviously can't take any pictures while I'm shooting video with it.

BASICALLY, I need a cheap but better quality video camera than my Canon Rebel, maybe a dash-cam if quality is good and no lag.

Let me know your thoughts on this :)

What I am trying this year is this...... I am using my GoPro for the first time as my dash cam. The problem is this........ The only way you can stream the GoPro is to purchase an external gaming capture device..... This is because the only feed out of the GoPro is the HDMI port. The HDMI port on your laptop is an OUT port. You cannot feed your GoPro into the HDMI port on your laptop. So, therefore, you run your HDMI out of the GoPro, then into the capture device. It then converts the HDMI signal, and sends it to your laptop via USB. Because of this process, there is a lag. The lag is not bad, however, if you stream that signal, the two streaming sites I've used (will remain anonymous) both have a 30-45 second lag.... from the time you pass a point on a road, or say something until it comes across on the enduser's computer. The capture device I am using is by NO means the top of the line, but it still cost me $178.00 at Best Buy.

Last year, I used a Logitech webcam, (HD) and I really have to say, I was not impressed with the image quality. It did get coverage on CNN and HLN last year, and I heard, the picture was quite pixelated. I have also used a camcorder for streaming as well, and that quality was a lot better than the Logitech. My problem with my Sony camcorder is that when I stream it to my laptop, I don't record it on media within the camera and then after about 15 minutes, It goes into a default mode of advertising screens built into the camera. I sure wish I could keep those from popping up. I lost a good shot of the Moore, OK tornado because the camcorder went into this durn default mode at that very moment, and I had not noticed it in time and therefore lost getting that footage. If you have any questions with what you need for your GoPro, please feel free to contact me.

Other than price, gopro type cams are pretty much all the same. All anyone does with them is shoot mostly unwatchable static fisheye wide angle video. I've got some friends who are dual sport bikers and they take multiple gopro cams every year, different models and brands. All pretty much looks the same on a rendered YT video. If you're ever serious about streaming and don't want the hassle of having to purchase the extra gear to make a gopro stream-able, just go pick up a Microsoft LifeCam. It's the best looking stream on the market. I've had mine 5 years now and it looks just as good if not better than anything I see today.

I don't use a GoPro for live streaming and to be honest - don't use GoPro for anything at all. For my live streaming, I use a Logitec C920 HD webcam. It does everything I need to do and allows for a crystal clear streaming. Other than when data drops out - I can usually maintain a HD live stream and have it very steady. I'd look into use that instead of a GoPro. Which Logitec webcam where you using?

Back