laptop accessories etc needed

I am looking for used or new tripod stands like the ones that fit in the car to hold a laptop in front of dashboard in between seats. I have seen other chassssers with them. Very nice. Would like to go inexspensive route or even make my own if there are suggestions. Post here or email my email. Appreciate it- thanks

I am looking for used or new tripod stands like the ones that fit in the car to hold a laptop in front of dashboard in between seats. I have seen other chassssers with them. Very nice. Would like to go inexspensive route or even make my own if there are suggestions. Post here or email my email. Appreciate it- thanks
[/b]

Eric I saw this a few weeks ago.looks like all you'll need to do is make a base.
http://www.lightbars.net/

goto Misc. equipment then center consoles. hope it helps :)

does it have to be a tripod stand or would a $25 police camera style mount work? Sticks the dash and front windshield.
[/b]

He's looking for something for his laptop, not camera.

Eric, before I installed my RAM mount I did a lot of research on the internet and here.. Google was my best friend. I saw all kinds of homemade solutions, many are dependant on your vehicle configuration though. The cheapest pre-made setups seem to originate from e-bay, although I would check to see if anyone else has a particular model first as a few of them seem pretty shoddy. A lot comes down to whether you are able to utilize existing bolts (seat etc) or if you have to drill holes in your floor for a mounting plate.

He's looking for something for his laptop, not camera.

Eric, before I installed my RAM mount I did a lot of research on the internet and here.. Google was my best friend. I saw all kinds of homemade solutions, many are dependant on your vehicle configuration though. The cheapest pre-made setups seem to originate from e-bay, although I would check to see if anyone else has a particular model first as a few of them seem pretty shoddy. A lot comes down to whether you are able to utilize existing bolts (seat etc) or if you have to drill holes in your floor for a mounting plate.
[/b]

well i replied to the camera dash mount thread about this subject, and THEN found this thread so I'll go ahead and post my setup. It's a VERY expensive setup, about 600 bucks. But ocassionally on ebay you can find parts to make this setup for VERY cheap. I ended up picking up the entire console, track, laptop stand and all the wiring for 150. This will only work if you have center console room but offers a way to mount radios AND a laptop. I originally had a jotto desk, but the laptop sat infront of my passenger side airbag when I didn't use it, and didnt want the laptop cutting someone's head off in an accident.

Setup is a 36"(?) piece of aluminum track, a 18" console, and a laptop stand that also bolts to the track.

100_1028.jpg

100_1029.jpg

100_1030.jpg

Ben

What exactly cost $600 you are talking about? What cost $150 (what was the name on ebay so I could see such a set up?). I saw info about a jotto.

Nice pics. Gives me some ideas and things to think about. Appreciate.

All are welcome to chime in, talk and expand upon this thread.

Thanks

Ben

What exactly cost $600 you are talking about? What cost $150 (what was the name on ebay so I could see such a set up?). I saw info about a jotto.

Nice pics. Gives me some ideas and things to think about. Appreciate.

All are welcome to chime in, talk and expand upon this thread.

Thanks
[/b]

All the stuff that I'll list would cost around 600 new, but I paid 150 for the same list used from a friend:

1: 36" aluminum track
2. Seat bolt mounting brackets for the track
3. aethstetic side skirt for track
4. Laptop stand to bolt to track
5. Mounts for 18" radio console
6. Empty 18" console
7. fold up/down armrest
8. goose neck maplight.

The radios/light controller, and all faceplates to mount everything in the console were things I already owned from a previous, smaller console setup. All the stuff listed above except for the gooseneck maplight is made by a company called Havis Shields. maplight is Federal Signal.

A good way to search for this type of stuff on eBay is to type in "police console" and search under ebay motors. Alot of people list used radio consoles out of police cars for pretty cheap that contain consoles similiar to what I have.

The jotto desk I referred to was what I had for a setup previous to the one shown in the pictures. The older setup was a 14" havis shields Consolidator console that dropped in place of my factory cupholders, and left the factory armrest/console in place. I had the Jotto desk bolted to the side of my transmission hump, but it was in the airbag zone so that's why I switched to the 'new' setup with the track mounted accessories.

OLD SETUP:
MVC-024F.jpg

Back