Killer Tornado in Evansville, Indiana

"For some reason, I can't get the TAR file to unpack through my .rv3 converter. Is there an error in the file, Tyler?"

After untarring, move all the files into one directory then ncdc it.

Do not check the box for NCDC to Untar the Files for you...that usually leads to trouble...just let them Keep the files TAR'ed and then use WinRAR, to UNTAR them yourself.

I would say a high end F2 -- Mid Range F3....

I'm sure I'll tick more than a few off by suggesting it - but isn't the fatality count best represented as 22 than 23? It seems that the NWS is going with the 23 count - where one of the 23 is the fetus of a woman who was 8 months pregnant. I'm not looking for politically charged debate here, but how can a death be counted without a death certificate, which can only be issued if there is a record of the individual being alive (as in a birth certificate, which is notably missing)? I think you have to count the toll as 22 - not 23 - unless there is more to the story than we are being told. Certainly, an appalling sad story - but I don't think emotion should skew the data. Guess that's just the scientist in me.

http://www.courierpress.com/ecp/news/artic...4223678,00.html

But the weather radios that receive a 1050 Hertz tone stayed silent, including the receiver at the City-County Dispatch, which is tested weekly. National Weather Service meteorologist Rick Shanklin said a software glitch was a possibility, but investigators have not determined the cause. They also believe a transmitter in Evansville may have malfunctioned, he said. "It's something complicated that we really have to dig into to find it," Shanklin said. "It is very high priority, and we're doing everything we can to figure out exactly what it is. The 1050 tone is important to us because we know a lot of people have it." Those who had digital weather radios got the warning, Shanklin said.

From the Evansville Courier-Press: A security camera overlooking the parking lot of Deaconess Women's Hospital captured footage of the tornado that moved through the tri-state early Sunday morning.
tornado_e.jpg

Back