JUNE 04: NWS Topeka: Tornado Damage

The big tornado of Brown county, only F2: I thought F3 after I have seen Bill Dom's video and the house destroyed....
The house that was damaged, I believe, was shown in Mike Peregrine's video about 2/3 of the way through. I didn't see the damage in Bill Doms video. A still from Mike's website here:

http://www.stormseason.com/16%20Damage.jpg

This was a modular home, manufactured in a factory, with the large components put together on site. The quality/sturdiness of modular homes varies, but is often between that of a mobile home and wood frame home.

The other two homes affected (wood frame homes) were not as badly damaged.

George

The big tornado of Brown county, only F2: I thought F3 after I have seen Bill Dom's video and the house destroyed....
The house that was damaged, I believe, was shown in Mike Peregrine's video about 2/3 of the way through. I didn't see the damage in Bill Doms video. A still from Mike's website here:

http://www.stormseason.com/16%20Damage.jpg

This was a modular home, manufactured in a factory, with the large components put together on site. The quality/sturdiness of modular homes varies, but is often between that of a mobile home and wood frame home.

The other two homes affected (wood frame homes) were not as badly damaged.

George

Yes from Mike's pics damage is not so much evident like I imagined, but I was talking about just the force of the tornado that blow away a roof in the Bill's video: it looks so much strong that in a first time I thought of an F3.

We were estimating at the time that it was probably a strong F2 tornado, judging primarily from the damage we saw (in fact, talked about it in my blog the day after the event) ... it is additionally possible that it reached F3 intensity briefly after hitting Jim Spicer's home (the one on my page) ... after it hit his house it moved over an open field and then over some trees, where it took on a wider, barrel-shaped appearance and started spewing debris at quite a distance from the funnel. I believe it was strongest just a couple minutes before it started roping out, but this is just subjective judgment.

Back