JUN 09: PRELIMINARY ROOKS COUNTY KANSAS TORNADO SUMMARY

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HASTINGS NE
1110 PM CDT FRI JUN 10 2005

...PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES OF AN F1 TORNADO IN ROOKS COUNTY ON
THURSDAY JUNE 9TH...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN HASTINGS NEBRASKA CONDUCTED A DAMAGE
SURVEY IN ROOKS COUNTY. PRELIMINARY FINDINGS INDICATE AN F1
TORNADO WHICH DID NOT HAVE A CONTINUOUS PATH ACROSS ROOKS COUNTY.

THERE WAS EVIDENCE OF TORNADO DAMAGE TWO TO FOUR MILES SOUTH OF
WEBSTER STATE PARK WHERE A POWER SUB-STATION WAS MANGLED...A FARM
WAS DAMAGED...AND POWER LINES WERE DOWN.

OTHER EVIDENCE OF TORNADO DAMAGE OCCURRED IN STOCKTON WHERE A
THEATER WAS DAMAGED AND TWO GRAIN BINS WERE OVERTURNED. SEVERAL
TREES WERE DAMAGED.

ALTHOUGH LAW ENFORCEMENT IDENTIFIED FOUR DIFFERENT TORNADOES BETWEEN
THE COMMUNITIES OF PALCO AND ZURICH...THE TORNADOES DID NOT PRODUCE
ANY NOTICEABLE DAMAGE IN THIS AREA.

THE BROKEN PATH OF THE TORNADO OCCURRED BETWEEN DAMAR AND STOCKTON
AT AROUND 530 PM TO 6 PM ON THURSDAY AND WAS ABOUT 1 MILE WIDE AT ITS
WIDEST

HEINLEIN/04 .
Source:http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/KGID/0506110410.nous43.html
Mike

This goes to show how sketchy I find tornado climatology... A mile-wide F1 'eh. As stated, there were tornadoes reported, but no tornado damage observed owing to the fact that it didn't hit anything. Now, one can see how tornado climo can be misleading if you add in a few more tornadoes that were likely signficant yet failed to hit much/anything...

yea whats up with that - all the video I seen wouldn't make it an 1/8 mile wide, definately not as big as stated
is there a way of finding the amount of tornados , and their paths in this outbreak event of 6/9 KS.... or any other technicals PM me please or list here if appropiate
oh I got the Hays news the next day and a guy by the name of Eric from oun is on the cover.....

ahh, I stand to be corrected....everyone please see Mike H post on reports just in.6/9...how wide is it? I didnt see pics of this prior to my last post and it IS very wide - my guess a f2 at least JMHO - this wasn't the tornado I saw up there (but might have been in the rain drapes that were chasing me down that rockroad for miles on end)
Could this be the one that nailed Stockton?
Does anyone have the path on this?

oh I got the Hays news the next day and a guy by the name of Eric from oun is on the cover.....

That was my good friend Eric Holthaus, who was chasing with Howie Bluestein's mobile radar research team, a co-op between the University of Oklahoma and UMass-Amherst.

I managed to get (sort of) before-and-after shots of the grain silos hit by the tornado on June 9 in Stockton.

We passed through town southbound about 25-30 minutes before the tornado did. I had my camera on recording the sound of the tornado sirens as we drove, and inadvertently got some partially obstructed views of the grain silos next to the road by the railroad crossing:

silo1.jpg
silo2.jpg
silo3.jpg

On the 11th, I drove back through Stockton to find that one of the silos had collapsed and the others had been damaged:

siloafter.jpg

siloafter1.jpg

Back