Jan 2, 2006

Good evening everyone.

I'm doing a case study on tornadoes from squall lines and bow echoes, and their climatological distribution. I need a recent event to diagnose and what comes to my mind was the very nice bow echo that formed in TN/KY, as well as the supercells that formed in GA during the evening hours on January 2, 2006 - both features spawning tornadoes.

I have a few radar stills, some satellite shots, storm reports etc gathered from various sites and from our thread on the event.

What I need are the +TS/TOR watch/warning discussions, any radar stills/loops (both reflectivity and SRV), any satellite stills/loops, and mesoscale discussions for both the region the line/bow formed and for GA where the supercells formed. I know there's a way to get past watch/warning/meso disc off the SPC site, I was just unsuccessful in finding it or finding it on any previous threads here. If you have any of the above, or know the website links for the discussions that I obviously don’t :D, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Wow. That would be the bible of what I am looking for, thank you VERY much Glen.

Would you know how long that page will be up - or should I just download/save everything on it in case they take it down?

Originally posted by Nick Bender
Wow. That would be the bible of what I am looking for, thank you VERY much Glen.

Would you know how long that page will be up - or should I just download/save everything on it in case they takeit down?

Don't worry about it leaving. The SPC started the Severe Thunderstorm Events database at least a year ago, and I can't imagine they'd remove any of it anytime soon. In fact, it seems that they are still developing it.

Good to hear Jeff - they have a really nice event data base.

As a "just in case" it goes down for some reason, is there anyone to save the java based loops, such as radar, sfc, etc?

You might also find this link useful:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lsx/?n=storm_survey

Click on the two links for January 2, 2006. They contain damage survey info, damage photos, and radar images from tornadoes that occurred in the St. Louis area early in the morning that same day. One of them was associated with a supercell storm and one with a comma-head feature in a line of storms.

Nick, I have quite a few radar captures from GR Level 3 of the Missouri, Kentucky and Georgia storms during or near their tornadic phases.

Here's a few, from the Georgia storms, I'll upload the rest tomorrow.

Note: The Storm Attributes and Warning labels are not always 100% accurate with the radar image because I'm on dial-up here at home and they update slowly.

I also have a post on my blog with links to more information about the day's events. So far I have a count of 13 tornadoes (not counting the 2 early AM ones near St. Louis) with 4 strong (F2-3) tornadoes. Not an outbreak to sneeze at for January. None of the 4 strong tornadoes occurred within the PDS tornado watch during the time it was in effect.

http://ayaredubya.blogspot.com/2006/01/wea...er-event-1.html

FFC_2140_BV.png

FFC_2145_BR.png

FFC_2145_BV.png

FFC_2151_BR.png

FFC_2151_BV.png

FFC_2156_BR.png

Edit: Argh...Photobucket resized them...they're a whole heck of a lot smaller than they should be. If you want them, provide me with your email address in a PM (the direct forum-based email system doesn't allow for attachments) and I'll get them to you that way.

Originally posted by Nick Bender
Would you know how long that page will be up - or should I just download/save everything on it in case they take it down?

My guess is they will hang on to it since it is a great resource for other NOAA offices and for public interest like yourself. I hope they keep adding tools like those composite maps.

I've used it quite a bit and it rocks. Another site for archived weather data is http://vortex.plymouth.edu/

Not sure if you've been to that one though. Bad for radar and satellite...good for charts.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/radar/ has a 6 day radar archive too so if you can act fast, you can usually save some nice loops or images off that. Satellite is the same but change "radar" to "satellite" in the web addy.

...Alex Lamers...

Back