It was probably just looking to take out a few Soccer Moms

• Thread starter Shawn Rutherford
  • Start date
It was probably looking to take out a few soccer moms

They looked pretty scared. It was imposible to tell what they were saying because of their language. If I had been there my biggest worry would be about flying debris taking an eye out. The vortex did not seem conected to any deep moist convection, but if it had been I would have been more scared. I imagine that this dust devil spun up in a very deep mixed layer, with very steep superadiabatic lapse rates near the ground. I doubt that it would have reached such an intensity had it not managed to dwell for tens of seconds over smooth tarmac. Any roughness or trees, and they just fall apart.

Dust devil

That dust devil footage was AWSOME! Did it get an F-scale rating?? I'd definitely rate it a strong F0.

F0: Some damage to chimneys; breaks branches off trees; pushes over shallow-rooted trees; damages sign boards

It didn't appear to break any branches at all - just looked like it made some porta-roofs airborne which can be done at 20-30mph, so I have a hard time believing it was even F0 let alone nearly F1...

Re: Dust devil

Originally posted by Craig Maire II
That dust devil footage was AWSOME! Did it get an F-scale rating?? I'd definitely rate it a strong F0.

I don't think dust devils can be classifed under the F scale sense they are not true tornados.

Re: Dust devil

I don't think dust devils can be classifed under the F scale sense they are not true tornados.

Yeah, they can classify any type of wind damage using the F scale. I hear it often used for straight line wind damage...

Back