is but chasing about living on the edge?

I've been too close to that edge and its not pretty. Being certain of things you have control of is one thing...but if that control is lost...all certainty is gone. I learned this lesson back on Sept. 22, 2001. To this day, I still have nightmares occasionally about that crazy night. Sometimes it takes a hard dose of reality to realize that sometimes there is that point of no return. Just my thoughts.

Yes Brian, I was thinking about this event just today. I have some thoughts that might make an interesting thread.

I know this is probably a dumb question, and many of you don't recommend it, but chasing is about living on the edge, right?

Just so the rest of you know, Neal clipped that phrase from a comment by Chris about chasing at night - so that is the context, and he made a new thread on just that idea.

Chris (fairly new to chasing I believe) assumed that chasing was about living on the edge, so the question is do we think that's what it's about?

For me to some degree that is true, but not for the purpose of putting my life at risk. I love my life and never have any intention of sacrificing it just for a thrill, or to put on a show, or to prove something to someone else. There are inherent risks with chasing, but it isn't risky all the time. It's probably difficult to put into words exactly why I chase, but I think mystery and wanting to fully experience life are part of it. Tornadoes are things which kill and which most normal people are terrified of and hide from. Instead we as chasers come out and actively look for that which would kill us. I think I do it because I want to understand these very rare, unique, and beautiful forces, and I am drawn to them because they seem very unreal - as if you are entering a new dimension of reality. Truth is we are all here living, but someday we will all die. Death is a part of life. Perhaps we want to stare that abyss in the face. We wish to look into the deep pit, the taboo, and walk away and perhaps try and understand what it is we see. So if by that you mean 'living on the edge' then yes I'd say that is partly it.

With that said, that isn't the whole part either. There are countless ways that chasing for me has become one of the best possible hobbies & endeavors totally unrelated to risk. Chasing comprises (or can comprise) auto mechanics, photography, meterology, computer (creation repair configuration), amateur radio, spotting / emergency services, forecasting, nature and the outdoors, travel to unknown new areas, community and comaraderie with others on the road and through internet forums, competition, adventure, the unknown. I'm sure there are other things as well. Some of us (such as myself) are pretty much involved in all of these things and others are involved in a smaller subset. I think one reason I am into it so much is that it challenges me at so many levels and ties together so many of my other interests listed above (scratch radio, and emergency work for me). Sometimes it is so much, and I get into it so much and want to spend so much time on it that it is a bit overwhelming. It can really take over for some of us if you aren't careful. I often hear of the chase divorce and that sort of thing. :) It can be tough on the family life.

I remember a line that my friend Geoff Mackley of Discovery Channel fame (aka Dangerman) always used: "If you're not living on the edge, you're just taking up space". I think he means life is short, we only have so much time, and there is so much to do. We will only be here once. Life isn't all about the day to day and 9 to 5 to be taken for granted as so many do. It's a very rare gift and we have the mysteries of the universe to discover together.

I have to admit that I do enjoy getting a bit of a thrill from a chase, I mean, who doesn't? I am not one who wants to be close to a tornado though. Not my kinda thing... I like keeping some distance because I feel I can see the entire picture more and see what's going on around. I get my "thrills" from the unknown. I also get them from seeing some neat structure or tornado that catches me by surprise. I think it's a pretty good feeling. Something that makes it addictive and you just want to do it all over again.

So why do I chase? That's a good question. Maybe it's just the fact that I am real interested in storms and curiousity drives me out there. I am one of those who like being "at one with nature". Chasing for me is like escaping from the everyday mundane life. I am in my own world when I am watching or chasing storms.

I take each storm/tornado as Nature presents it to me. Depending on the situation. I don't actively strive for exclusively up close or far away artsy fartsy shots. I don't want to bring home the same angle of every storm every time, I like it to be different. Mulvane was awesome and upclose, crazy. Dwyer was far away but ethereal...captivating. And then Kiowa was kinda both of those. I like getting different shots.

Of course if I end up within a half mile of 5 of my next 7 tornadoes, I'll be ok with it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("Bill Tabor")</div>
Originally posted by Chris Lott
I know this is probably a dumb question, and many of you don't recommend it, but chasing is about living on the edge, right?

Just so the rest of you know, Neal clipped that phrase from a comment by Chris about chasing at night - so that is the context, and he made a new thread on just that idea.

Chris (fairly new to chasing I believe) assumed that chasing was about living on the edge, so the question is do we think that's what it's about?

You're right Bill, I am new to chasing, but I believe my comments were taken out of context, or I should have said it differently. I have to admit that part of the reason I am into chasing is the excitement, the rush, the "living on the edge." I don't know too many people who want to get close to a tornado and not get pumped up about it. But I have been interested in storms for years. That's part of the reason I joined Stormtrack, so I can learn as much as I possibly can from the veteran chasers. Just so noone misunderstood me, I didn't mean that chasers are into chasing for the purpose of living on the edge, just for excitement. Without actually learning about severe weather, to me you don't know what you're looking at and then you'll get a thrill you don't want.

Originally posted by Chris Lott
Just so noone misunderstood me, I didn't mean that chasers are into chasing for the purpose of living on the edge, just for excitement. Without actually learning about severe weather, to me you don't know what you're looking at and then you'll get a thrill you don't want.

Yes, I think I understood what you meant in context with night chasing and 'pushing the envelope'. However it made a good opportunity for chasers to express themselves. I don't really have anything against any reason for chasing. We all have different things that motivate us.

Back