iPhone

B Ozanne

EF5
So, what's everbody's opinion of the new iPhone? Is anyone planning on getting it?

Besides the fact that it's really expensive, and a brand new device, I would love to get one. It looks like it will easily blow away all the other smartphones in terms of functionality, and may even be a solid laptop replacement.

As with other Apple products it physically looks great. A work of art. If the only thing it did was calculate tips I think I'd want it. That wallpaper with the clown fish pretty much sold it for me.

I'm seriously considering it... There are some other decent phones out there with a similar UI (and a lot less expensive). Considering that I've been thinking about completely switching everything to Mac, the iPhone would fit nicely.

Making the switch is a big a part of it for me. When OS 10.5 comes out I think that will drive me over to a Mac full-time. I'm anticipating the Boot-Camp/Parallels issues will be worked out and running Windows will be very easy. The good news for me is that I can 20% off a new Mac.

While the iPhone will likely make a huge impact in the consumer market, I doubt it will have the same effect in the business sector where blackberry's, Treo's and other smartphones have been shining.

This makes sense since a lot of consumers have been wanting a lot of smartphone like functionality but the other solutions were not quite a right fit.

Personally I love my Treo... not planning on changing anything for a while yet.

While the iPhone will likely make a huge impact in the consumer market, I doubt it will have the same effect in the business sector where blackberry's, Treo's and other smartphones have been shining.

This makes sense since a lot of consumers have been wanting a lot of smartphone like functionality but the other solutions were not quite a right fit.

Personally I love my Treo... not planning on changing anything for a while yet.

For alot of well established businesses, they'll probably just ignore it like all of the other Mac products.

However, I think a lot of new tech startups (in the past 2 years or so) run with Mac. If I'm not mistaken, Google is a big supporter of Apple/Mac and Ubuntu. From what I've heard, MS is a pretty rare site in Google HQ (and in MS HQ for that matter). Of course I can't really verifiy that, it's just one of those good-ol' Silicon Valley rumors.

For $600, I'm not considering, especially since I have a smartphone (Cingular 2125) that does almost the same thing(s). Apple gets props for, as expected, a nice UI and attractive casing. But, from a feature standpoint, I'm not entirely sure why I'd spend $600 for a phone that doesn't do much more than my $200 phone (or other Microsoft / Windows Mobile smartphones). I'd rather take that $400 differential and buy a new lens! :)

It seems like that price needs to move a lot lower. At $600 you're not that far from a laptop. What's more disturbing is that these prices are with a 2-year contract.

Another problem I have is my current contract. I'm barely a year into my current VZW contract. Cingular is going to need to sweeten the deal to help entice me out of my current plan.

No 3G or UMTS

This phone will be very outdated when it comes out in June

It seems like that price needs to move a lot lower. At $600 you're not that far from a laptop. What's more disturbing is that these prices are with a 2-year contract.

Another problem I have is my current contract. I'm barely a year into my current VZW contract. Cingular is going to need to sweeten the deal to help entice me out of my current plan.

Don't expect the price to come down, atleast that's the impression I get from my friends. They tell me everytime some new i-something comes out the older model is dropped so that prices stay quite expensive if you want anything new. That's just what I've heard so maybe I'm wrong.

The Treo 750 just came out and is listed at $650 on the Cingular site with 2 year contract. I got mine for $250 ! It's all in how you talk with the reps.

Back