Interesting LSR: WALL CLOUDS WITH SWIRLING DEBRIS

The report isn't detailed enough to make such a call, I think. "Swirling debris" could mean a lot of things, especially coming from a co-op observer (who, more than likely, is NOT a trained spotter).

Having worked at an NWS office in the past and having taken many a "tornado" report from spotters and the general public, my experience was that, while you log the report internally, you don't place it in the LSR as an actual tornado unless you're fairly certain about it. That's the way it worked at my office, at least (at the time).

Same thing happened to the tornado Scott Blair and I intercepted in Sicily Island, LA on 8 NOV 2000. Very obviously a tornado but in the LSR it was labeled as wind damage. The LSR was not edited but in storm data it is listed as an F2.

Ive never worked at a NWS office, but im wondering if maybe these are the initial reports, the "raw data" if you will, that somewhere they edit and further classify internally. Just a thought maybe someone can enlighten me on how they work.

Back