Image and Responsibility

In another thread, a discussion of light bars and other chase vehicle paraphernalia arose as an outgrowth of the original post. My intention here isn't to mull over an already well-chewed-over topic whose bleached bones resurface periodically for further chewing. Personally, beyond wearing my "Got Storms?" T-shirt from KDR Media (which is very cool indeed; thanks, Kendra!), I avoid ostentation, but if you want to deck out your vehicle with decals, whizbangs, and candle power enough to rival a NASA launch pad, that's a matter of personal taste, not an ethical issue.

However, that kind of stuff will elicit attention. I hope you'll therefore have a sense of responsibility commensurate with the attention you receive. The louder you shout out to the world that you're a storm chaser, the more it behooves you to act in ways that put a positive face on what chasers are like, or at least, that don't foster a negative image. For instance:
  • Drive responsibly and exercise good citizenship on the road. Don't drive recklessly, in ways that jeopardize the safety of non-chasers. They have the same right to the road as you, and their safety (and yours, and your chase partner's) outweighs your getting to the storm as fast as you can.
  • Don't park in the road. Find a place to pull off to the side so you don't impede traffic.
  • Don't expect people to give you the right of way. They don't have to. Unless you're in law enforcement or are driving a firetruck or ambulance, your flashers mean nothing other than that you're a guy or gal who likes flashers.
  • However, flashers do alert people to your presence when you're pulled aside. For most chasers, that is probably the wisest and most legitimate use of light bars: as a safety device for when you're stopped, particularly in low-visibility conditions, not as a highway-clearer for when you're in motion.
I'm sure others can add to and improve on my list. My point is, if you're going to draw attention to the fact that you're a storm chaser, then take an equal interest in enhancing the overall image of chasers by demonstrating courtesy, respect, and safety-mindedness.

Last edited:
As has been said in many different ways, but can't be said enough. After a chase day where where a tornado has just blown through a residential area, don't show up at a local watering hole, let everyone in the bar know you are a chaser and announce how you were on that storm and it was "Effing awesome!!!".
Even if you simply mean the multiple vortices were impressive, in some strange way, people might somehow think you are an insensitive jackass.

During last week's messy chase, Mike Mezuel was saying how some guy in a pickup with light bars came flying by him on a dirt (?)road. Don't be THAT guy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I chased with Bob on Wednesday in IA and was myself guilty of driving a little too aggressively. I think I let the frustration of the loss of internet data get to me a little..yeah, who am I kidding. I'm naturally an aggressive driver who needs to exercise a little more patience out there, in chase mode, and every day drive mode. Thanks for the reminder my friend.

I will say this about light bars and rear window strobes, and I know this has been well covered here and on social media.. I hate them now. OMGosh...Freaking hate them. Honestly, IMO if you're not LE, an Emergency vehicle, or a volunteer firefighter on the way to a call you don't need them. Quit blinding the rest of us and take them off your vehicle and sell them to your nearest disco..

Here here, Bob. Bones always worth bleaching whiter.

Why is it the chasers for TV stations always seem to be the ones passing me at 20mph over the speed limit, or 20mph over the 5-10mph over the limit I'm doing? Quite often when the storm is 60 miles away or not severe yet.

As to the lights, I'd love to see tickets handed out for red/blue white flashers if you're not police or fire. Or an ambulance.

As to the light bars, well sure. You're totally safe as I am oncoming to you, totally blind. I'm sure my tire won't catch the dirt shoulder and cause me to flip into your lane. I'm sure I'll still be able to see any other hazard since the only thing I can see is your light bar. I'm sure.

Now as I type that, I think of Lexus, BMW and Prius headlights, which are near as blinding as one can get without lasers or arc welding... Hmmmm :/

And lastly, yes, I love my AMBER (orange) blinky light on top. I think it's awaken many a drunk Okies up to my presence park well off the road, but still don't want to 'surprise' them.

HAHAHAHAHA wow that video just gave me a great laugh. Sadly he is driving the same exact car that I chase in....a black Hyundai Elentra. Damn. O well, my car has nothing on it at all to point out that I am a chaser, but now I could be mistaken for that guy.

At some point, I will end up with a small antenna farm on my truck, especially as I go up in terms of licensing with the ham stuff and get privileges to transmit on more bands. Outside of that though, you'll likely know who I like in NASCAR or that I'm prior military before anything else by looking at my truck. I know a lot of the guys in my off road group mess with heavy duty lighting, but that's not my thing.

@Bob Hartig, you do bring up a great point about visibility when pulled off on the side of the road though. My truck, despite its size, is probably difficult to see in low visibility conditions due to its color. I'll have to keep this in mind in the future when I'm out. I didn't find myself in any terribly low visibility situations this year, but my last truck had much lighter coloration and so it was something that probably would have never crossed my mind.

Some chaser douchebaggery from this Wednesday in Iowa. The person in question is CJ Lergner. You can see his reckless driving including stopping in the traffic lane and pulling off/on the road on his own youtube channel
Great video Ben. When the dude in the car got in front of us I was like OMG no way... he about wrecked is at one point. I think I used the word "assholes" on 146.550.. Oops!

And lastly, yes, I love my AMBER (orange) blinky light on top. I think it's awaken many a drunk Okies up to my presence park well off the road, but still don't want to 'surprise' them.

I went to this instead of using flashers when on the side of the road because of all well meaning people who would stop and ask if I was ok or broke down or something. " No, just keeping an eye on the storm but thanks for stopping" With the little magnetic strobe on the roof, not powerful at all but enough where people just drive by now. Oh and yeah I'm not VORTEX or DOW so only use it when stopped not while driving!

So aside from disco fantastic strobes and Amber LEDs, does anyone here have any opinion on front facing LED light bars...as in driving lights?

I chase in eastern Colorado primarily, where it's really dark and a lot of open cattle range territory, and just purchased a bar for aux forward lighting. Its bright...like really bright. Is it safe to assume, if used properly, this won't hurt anyone's feelings?

Just want to check. I'd hate to be ostracized from the community. [/sarcasm]

So aside from disco fantastic strobes and Amber LEDs, does anyone here have any opinion on front facing LED light bars...as in driving lights?

I chase in eastern Colorado primarily, where it's really dark and a lot of open cattle range territory, and just purchased a bar for aux forward lighting. Its bright...like really bright. Is it safe to assume, if used properly, this won't hurt anyone's feelings?

Just want to check. I'd hate to be ostracized from the community. [/sarcasm]
I think front blinking LED lights would be a distraction. White LED flood lights at bumper level to add a little more illumination, but not blinding to oncoming traffic....ok. A small yellow lightbar in the rear window, not so much.

As a reminder, the topic is actually not light bars. It's an appeal to behave responsibly in ways that paint storm chasers in a good light. It's something all of us need to work at, but it's particularly important for those who advertise to the world that they're storm chasers. There are various ways that some people do so, and assorted reasons why, but that's not the issue here. My point is, if your tastes and habits are apt to draw attention, then it's all the more important for you to demonstrate a mature, considerate attitude that speaks well for this vocation as a whole and for chasers as a group. By all means, do your ruggedly individualistic thing--but within reasonable limits. Because it ain't just about you.

Last edited:
Back