Hybrid cars - $$ Saving

What makes me hesitate is that the Ford extended service plan isn't available, as I understand it.

Just FYI, the Ford ESP is available on the Hybrid. In fact, it is the same cost as an ESP for a conventional Escape.

You are exactly right about having a 110v source included. It is just a standard two prong plug, I can't remember if it is one or two plugs, right next to the center console shifter. Very nice to have for equipment.

Personally, if I were buying a chase-friendly, economical vehicle right now, I'd get the Focus wagon.

A fine choice indeed.

Originally posted by Mike Parker
Actually, the Ford Escape Hybrid comes with the standard 3 year 36,000 mile factory warranty and a 8 year 100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid parts such as the battery, eCVT and the DC/DC converter. In 8 states, which include California and New York, the hybrid part of the warranty is 10 years 150,000 miles. So, the repairs on a hybrid Ford would not be any more than on a standard vehicle because all of the \"new technology\" is covered by an extremely long warranty. Just some insight.

But there's still the lack of a manual transmission.

What would you want a manual transmission for on a hybrid??? My Focus sedan is a 5-speed and I've always driven manuals. It's nice to be able to push- and hill-start, etc., but that doesn't apply with a hybrid. It would also be nice to have your right hand free to twiddle knobs, dial cellphones, adjust cams, etc. Less distraction in situations where you should be concentrating on driving as much as possible. Also no clutches to wear out -- a non-warranty item that costs a bunch to replace.

Don't get me wrong, I think hybrids are really cool but if you do the math you wont save any money.

Take two identical cars. One is the hybrid version, the other is just the regular version. I'm looking at the Ford Escape. Regular version is $20,000, hybrid version is $27,000. At the inflated $3 per gallon that extra $7000 will buy you 2300 gallons of gasoline. It would take years to make up that $7000 premium you paid for the hybrid version.

Now, if you were in the market for a $27,000 car to begin with it makes since.

yeah i miss driving my 8 mpg hot rod chevy... :? Just a few years ago (98?) when gas was .89/gal I drove taht thing every where. Low gears, 4000rpms at 70 mph. talk about a gas hog. oh and the engine has 11:1 compression so I had to run 98 octane... those were the days.

Even now I'm startin gto look into a more fuel efficient vehicle but somehting that still has some power.

If the freakin' jeep liberty wasn't so ugly I'd get the one with the Common rail diesel.

Back