HOW TO HELP RIGHT NOW

I work for NPC International, which is the largest Pizza Hut franchise, and we had over 100 Pizza Hut stores in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama that were hit by Katrinia.

Some stores have opened back up after power was restored, I think we have 60+ stores still that are closed either because they're flooded, have been damage, or in some cases we have Pizza Hut stores that aren't even there no more. I just saw pictures today of a location where one of our pizza huts use to sit, they literally cannot find the building.. it's completely gone!

Anyways, you can imagine the hundreds of Pizza Hut/NPC employee's who have been affected by the hurricane, NPC donated $50,000 and plus donations are still coming in. We even have our vendors that is donating as well!

It's fantastic to see companies come together during times like this to help in such a great way like this!

I created a button using a satellite image from Katrina prior to landfall. I created it for my website as a way to help those affected by Hurricane Katrina. Feel free to use this button and code on your web sites, blogs, or whatever.

katrina_button.jpg

http://store.yahoo.com/redcross-donate2/
http://www.redcross.org

Please download it and run it from your site as I have limited bandwidth to use monthly.

(g/f) Floss and I are joining the Red Cross. If anyone else is doing this, here's some info about what to expect (but by no means is this comprehensive):

We must get some simple physicals. We are attending two classes, one in CPR, First Aid, and AED (defribulator use), and one for orientation. That process is taking about a week. We will be getting shots for tetanus and others.

We are told that we cannot leave for up to two weeks, but will probably be going to the Coast. We are told to expect Third World conditions (basically), and that we may be living in a bus.

Our shifts will be 8 hour (or so) shifts, mostly during business hours. Deployments are 3-week deployments, after which most people "take a break", but that that is not written in stone. They want to know of your special skills, and will make use of them. e.g. If you have damage assessment or medical training, or can drive an 18-wheeler, that's what you will be doing.

Couples can be deployed together, but that may delay deployment for a couple days or so, yet they seriously encourage couples to stay together for each other's support.

Many volunteers will be utilized for on-site shelter support and logistics support, but there are other needs as well. Shelters will be all over the country, but more closer to the Coast, of course.

Bob

Oh, also, I'm hoping that we can take pics and post the pics and some tales of our experiences on here as we do this.

Bob, it's great that you're joining the Red Cross! Bless your heart.

I've had to do some research on this for work this morning --
in addition to inquiring directly with a Red Cross chapter that is hosting a shelter in your area, anyone interested in offering housing to evacuees can post on www.hurricanehousing.org and www.craigslist.com.

In addition, according to posts on craigslist, FEMA is taking information on housing offers -- the Texas office is handling Louisiana -- 940-898-5399 -- and the Georgia office is handling Alabama, Mississippi & Florida -- 770-220-5200.

(g/f) Floss and I are joining the Red Cross. If anyone else is doing this, here's some info about what to expect (but by no means is this comprehensive):

Bob, this is an amazing thing you're doing. Thank you to you and Floss and best wishes on your travels.

An international relief organization based in St. Louis (Service International) will be taking a team of volunteers down there Oct 14-23. I have gone on trips before with this group to do flood and tornado clean up and home rebuilding and I highly recommend them. They have done relief work in the US, Africa, Kosovo, and Sri Lanka. Since the people they take are volunteers they do have you pay for the travel cost of the trip but they keep it as inexpensive as possible. If you want more info about going on the trip you can contact them at [email protected].

For those who have had the ability to donate, I thought this would be of interest concerning the Red Cross activities thus far.

"5:30 P.M. - (AP): The American Red Cross said Saturday it had 361 shelters open and was caring for at least 96,180 hurricane victims in nine states. These figures do not include refugees still in New Orleans, or at hotels, motels or church or state shelters across the South. Texas Gov. Rick Perry said as many as 120,000 hurricane refugees were in 97 shelters in his state alone, with another 100,000 in Texas hotels and motels. Hundreds more were housed in churches or private homes.

American Red Cross shelters:

-- Louisiana: 127 shelters; 51,480 people

-- Mississippi: 102 shelters; 13,510 people

-- Texas: 49 shelters; 23,850 people

-- Alabama: 47 shelters; 3,760 people

-- Georgia: 17 shelters; 880 occupants

-- Tennessee: 9 shelters; 70 occupants

-- Florida: 8 shelters; 1,380 occupants

-- Arkansas: 1 shelter; 1,250 occupants

-- Missouri: 1 shelter; 0 occupants "

At our first aid class today (which lasted 6 hours instead of 3), we were told that the possible locations for deployment included Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Tennessee or Kentucky...or elsewhere.

Oklahoma would be cool, but we want to be wherever we are needed most.

And, thanks for the kind words, Miriam and Amos, but we all know that there are 200 million other Americans, and countless others across our borders who are just doing whatever they can in their own way.

Bob & Floss

Back