How many will be attending a spotter training class this yr

How many of you will be attending a (SKYWARN) spotter training class this year.

• Total voters
Re: How many will be attending a spotter training class this

Originally posted by mikegeukes
How many of you will be attending a (SKYWARN) spotter training class this year.

Mike

I'm usually good for going to at least one per year. About a year or so ago I heard of an advanced spotter training class. I beleive there was one in either State College or Altoona here in PA, but I wasn't able to go due to work and school. Does anyone know if the NWS or anyone is planning on continuing or expanding this course? I'd love to get as much training as I could get!

I'm thinking about taking one in this year - been about 3 yrs since I last went to one. Hope to make it down to Garland, but I'd at least like to go to the one in Norman.

I am planning on it, we have two options here, go to North Platte and take it there or try to catch up with the guys from Hastings.
It depends on what the skeds look like.

Actually, I hope to attend several this year. One from IND, since that's where I am most of the time. One from LMK, my homeland. Hopefully, I'll also be able to make one from ILX, since I usually chase in that area.

Ben

Re: How many will be attending a spotter training class this

Originally posted by Dancing Through Sunday
'm usually good for going to at least one per year. About a year or so ago I heard of an advanced spotter training class. I beleive there was one in either State College or Altoona here in PA, but I wasn't able to go due to work and school. Does anyone know if the NWS or anyone is planning on continuing or expanding this course? I'd love to get as much training as I could get!

The NWS does in fact offer both the basic SKYWARN training, which you have evidently taken, as well as the Advanced training, through most of its offices. It is important, though, to point out that some offices do not differentiate between the two, offering instead a moderate level of training. I'd check the local NWS website for the latest information regarding spotter classes; and if you can't wait for some of the northern offices to post their schedules, a friendly email may offer up some answers as to whether that particular office plans to offer one, both, or a mix of the training levels.

As you can imagine, the advanced class offers more detail than the basic course in regard to identification of severe weather/thunderstorm elements, and likely some more "in-depth" meteorology in most instances. Thus, for those first starting out in spotting, it would be advisable to take at least one basic course before moving on to the advanced course, where both are offered. Of course, both types of classes are very interesting and entertaining, and you'll definitely enjoy them, as have I!

I'll be going to at least two, possibly three.

The Tulsa All-Day event is 13 miles form my house, the Creek County session is about 5 1/2 miles away. If I have the time and gas money, I'll also go to the one in Broken Arrow.

I went last year for a hurricane class ,that was the only class left they offer that I haven't been to: Basic 1, Basic 2, flash flood/ flood, winter storms & hurricane

Spotter Class

I'll be at the class in Chickisha, OK and the Advanced class in Norman during the Workshop. I tend to go every year whether I need it or not.

Mickey Ptak

Maybe the ones that said no live in an area without an active spotter program, or they can't make it due to personal situations. I am glad the number is up around 88% for those going.

Back