Highest Elevation Tornado (Pics) Ever Observed in the USA

What a lucky backpacker! Let that be a lesson for those that think tornadoes can't cross mountains. The rotation in that wall cloud is visually stunning, it reminds me of the Attica, KS wall cloud on May 12th.

Great link. John Monteverdi is quite the storm expert, too, so his insight rounds out the photos nicely.

Tim

It is said by two famous Italian writers (of which one is Machiavelli) that a powerful tornado cross middle-north Italy from East to West (yes, opposite to the westerlies) in August 1456. The historical documents contain dramatic details of the disaster's scene.

In the documents they both says that the tornado formed north of Ancona (along the Adriatic sea coastline) and crossed the Appennini, which in that position they are not so high in altitude, than enter Toscana region and pass close to Florence.

From the description of the tornado it appear like two - three mile wide multiple vortex tornado. From the damages is very difficult to give an estimation, but it could be F4-F5. Some of the damages were "incredible".

I'll post that document if I have time to translate it. Unfortunately is in ancient language and needs some time to translate it.

:wink:

I don't see any pictures of the tornado - just a funnel cloud aloft which is how they refer to it as well... Did they actually witness a touchdown and not photograph it?

I don't see any pictures of the tornado - just a funnel cloud aloft which is how they refer to it as well... Did they actually witness a touchdown and not photograph it?

The caption of the fourth funnel picture (in the Webshots album linked to by Jeff above) says "Funnel over Rockwell Pass touched down." The picture appears to support this with a debris cloud, though it's hard to say for sure.

Thanks for the link - it appears to me that the funnel is over the top of the ridge and not actually touching the edge of the ridge... No biggie.

Back