High Risk and Stuck At Work 11/15/2005

Target out of range and stuck at work, It was painful having to miss a rare high risk event for November. Oh well thiers always next year besides did any of you guys have an easy time catching these storms they were screamin fast!!! Even if the target was close to north Texas I don't think I would have been able to overtake this event, not exactly the best road network up their either. I hope the rest of you guys got to see this incredible event first hand with the cameras rolling.
I can't wait till spring 2006

Same here, had neck surgery. I suspect the area these cells grazed was shitty at least as far roads are concerned, among other things, evidenced by the lack of pictures or videos.

I was stuck in Detroit all day... But if I had the chance to have gone, I would have shot towards southern IL the previous afternoon. All in all, they were indeed tough storms to chase... Moving at speeds of 60MPH on average (the slowest storm I seen was the embedded structure in southeast MI, which was pushing at 35-40MPH most of the time). Winter is pretty much here now, and spring will be just around the corner :D

Spring seems all too far away for now. With the exeption of the May Friday the 13th chase north west of Wineral Wells north Texas has been the Dead Zone this year. It's as if a massive extreme stability bubble took out any possible chase days and we are now in a major drought and way behind in annual precipitation. If anyone else is from Denton County Texas and your reading this what happened to our chase season? It makes the out of range high risk target for November all the more painful and a major SDS outbreak is coming to Texas as a result. :(

That's gotta hurt getting stuck during a chase knowing and seeing the storms off in the distance moving away. I remember a chase in eastern Colorado I parked on the side of the road for just a minute and ended up stranded in the mud as my car slowly sank in. By the time I saw what was going on it was already too late, and to top it all off it was my wifes car oops now theirs a phone call one should never have to make. :shock:

It does suck....I really hate days like yesterday....the storms moved to fast, and I couldn't get to many lightning ops even when it was near me...

This really sucks... After 4 very intense storm systems rolling through the Great Lakes in less than 3 weeks, it's back to boring old "no-weather". I fear that we won't be talking about another big storm for quite awhile...

I don't care what we have - heavy snow, ice storm, wind, severe storms - I just need something synoptically interesting! :lol:

I was able to get off work early this day around 1230 so there was no time to call any one and pick um up in Detroit lol. i had to book south i only made it to Huntington IN. the most i saw was three bolts of Lightning. i left Ft. Wayne shortly before the second line gained a TOR warning. I just simply said screw it im tired and it needs to be spring. and wadda ya know i got 6 inches of snow last night. I hate snow already.

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
I was able to get off work early this day around 1230 so there was no time to call any one and pick um up in Detroit lol. i had to book south i only made it to Huntington IN. the most i saw was three bolts of Lightning. i left Ft. Wayne shortly before the second line gained a TOR warning. I just simply said screw it im tired and it needs to be spring. and wadda ya know i got 6 inches of snow last night. I hate snow already.

Yeah, Nick asked me if we could head out that day... Almost at the very instant he sent the PM, my car started acting up. It's the fuel injectors messed up, and also has a flat tire now because of a defect in the tire. It's a good thing we didn't go down there, or we'd probably still be there LOL.

Nick offered to drive me in his parents car, but that wouldn't work cuz I'm not 21 yet, and Nick only has his level 1 license :)shock: lol)...

With storms moving so fast though, I think the best way to catch anything would have been to have ThreatNet or somethin, which we don't have.

I was stuck in Leadville, but it was a hard high risk to chase (but I still would have preferred to have been chasing :D).

Nick offered to drive me in his parents car, but that wouldn't work cuz I'm not 21 yet, and Nick only has his level 1 license ( lol)...

I did not know that was a law in Michigan also. Luckily I got my license early enough so it does not affect me (not like there is anywhere interesting to go in Lake County though :lol:).

I don't care what we have - heavy snow, ice storm, wind, severe storms - I just need something synoptically interesting!

I agree. I hate winter especially in Leadville. Luckily we did have 17 inches of snow in 3 days including 1 day with 7 inches of snow and gusty winds. I don't like snow, but at least it was sort of interesting. :lol:

Originally posted by David Brookshier
Target out of range and stuck at work, It was painful having to miss a rare high risk event for November. Oh well thiers always next year besides did any of you guys have an easy time catching these storms they were screamin fast!!! Even if the target was close to north Texas I don't think I would have been able to overtake this event, not exactly the best road network up their either. I hope the rest of you guys got to see this incredible event first hand with the cameras rolling.
I can't wait till spring 2006

I know… :? ...I hate it when that happens. It is at times like those when the phrase "life can be a b*tch" happens to be very appropriate, LOL.

If this keeps up their going to have to remove north Texas from the tornado alley map, we have had a critical shortage of supercells for this year and it's next to impossible to evenfind a good thunderstorm. Just look at our annual rainfall totals we are so way behind. Even target areas that are within range like Oklahoma havn't produced much in the way of chasable events. I'm beginning to think that SDS is a real disease, I was tempted to arrange my home in a cyclonic order just the other day. :shock: We Texan chasers are desperate for storms, at this point I wouldn't mind seeing a good ice storm.

Just because I was not there does not mean that I did not gain an appreciation for what happened on Tuesday. Watching the event unfold real-time (esp the explosive cyclogenesis) was pretty exciting too and thankfully kept me from having to do my real job.

Back