Help. What the @%&! is this?

Just a theory here, but quite possibly a very intense "gustnado." Expected dry plains environment of S. Africa could also explain the abundance of dust.

Cu looks pretty high-based, and no real heavy precip core that I can see. Perhaps, could this resemble some of the gustnadoes or landspout-type events we see in eastern Colorado / west TX panhandle (high plains)? Throw in a freshly-tilled field or the tyical terrain down there, and you'd certainly get enough dust kicked up.

Just a thought anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a theory here, but quite possibly a very intense "gustnado." Expected dry plains environment of S. Africa could also explain the abundance of dust.

Cu looks pretty high-based, and no real heavy precip core that I can see. Perhaps, could this resemble some of the gustnadoes or landspout-type events we see in eastern Colorado / west TX panhandle (high plains)? Throw in a freshly-tilled field or the tyical terrain down there, and you'd certainly get enough dust kicked up.

Just a thought anyway.

It's not that dry around here in summer in the Johannesburg/Pretoria area. It's grassland similiar to east Kansas/Oklahoma from what I've seen of it. But yep there are a lot of dust devils around end of winter, but more towards the Kalahari up north toward Botswana which is closer to what you're describing.

I thought it was a devil initially as well, but can a devil get so big??

I think it seems to have been a stormy afternoon looking a data.

Back