Help me design a Hail Shield?

Which Design should I go with?

• Hinging Mechanism

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Rail System

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Hey guys! I'm looking for a little help designing a Hail Shield for my car. I own a 2006 Ford Escape and am looking to build a hail shield for the front windshield. So far I'm stuck in between going for a rail design or a hinge mechanism to slide or rotate the shield into place. I want it to be very quick and easy to operate and lock into place at both positions. So far I've managed to make this mockup design using 3D modelling software. Still very rough though so I'm open to any suggestions as far as what you guys think would be the best design to go with.

Thanks in advance!

Malcolmblender-app 2016-01-24 20-07-16-07.png blender-app 2016-01-24 20-07-47-53.png blender-app 2016-01-24 20-07-59-78.png blender-app 2016-01-24 20-08-19-20.png blender-app 2016-01-24 20-08-44-57.png

Hey Malcolm, I just finished my hail shield a couple months ago, and I made a youtube series about the build. Have a look at it if you like and glean any ideas you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Stormtrack mobile app

I'm about to use Lexan on the sides. Has anyone encountered wind noise? My windshield guard was incredibly loud but I cut out some space just past the windshield on the backside and it disappeared. The entire vehicle is lined, so not worried about the body. I guess I could fabricate a curve afterwards, but would like to plan for it ahead of time if needed.

I don't have any wind noise issues with the side panels when they are deployed. But they are folded on the roof a majority of the time, and I still don't have much wind noise.

James, did you see my video in my previous post? The video gives a thorough rundown of the build and it has links in YouTube to my other videos about the hail shield. I have videos on each part of the cage and test drives. Let me know if you have trouble viewing it.

James, did you see my video in my previous post? The video gives a thorough rundown of the build and it has links in YouTube to my other videos about the hail shield. I have videos on each part of the cage and test drives. Let me know if you have trouble viewing it.

Just watched it on my computer. Thanks.

Hey guys! Sorry about the late response I've been busy working to save up for the approaching storm season XD.

Update: I lied when I said I owned a Ford Escape. I made this thread prior to buying my storm chasing vehicle and I decided to go with an 05 Hyundai Tucson instead. Only downside is the one I bought has a sunroof which I will also need to build a hail shield for. Currently still working out the logistics though. I'll post another update shortly when I have a more refined design in place.

Hey Malcolm, I just finished my hail shield a couple months ago, and I made a youtube series about the build. Have a look at it if you like and glean any ideas you want.

Thanks David! Funnily enough I actually stumbled upon your video before posting this thread :p. I definitely admire your hail shield! Might just bug you with some questions about how you built it if that's cool.

51364689f31ddfce58a357bff300462b.jpg74c1b4b2aecb1611b13917b774014d6a.jpg

I ended up using Makrolon which is basically the same as lexan just made by a different company. The stuff Is pricey, but worth it I think. It can be cut using a jigsaw with a high tooth count laminate blade. But to answer someone's concern of noise, yes it is noisy. And I'm sure it ads to drag that likely taxes my gas mileage some. Spacing from the glass is CRITICAL as even though the stuff won't break, it WILL flex if hit hard enough. So I used 1 1/2" PVC for the frames, with some weather stripping for the contact points. They are secured with turnbuckles and Simpson strong-ties. I use a telescoping steel grate that slides out and locks in position for the windshield. I wanted to use aluminium to save weight but WOW - big time expensive to buy and then even to get a guy to weld it. I had the chance to test it in SD 7/16/16 in some tennis ball to baseball stuff and it held up marvellously.

Although if you're considering a set up like this I will warn you that the stuff attracts dust like crazy, scratches easily, and Rain-X for plastic doesn't work, it just beads it up, so it still makes viewing hard (if anyone has any ideas for this please let me know). Gotta give Dave Lewison a shout out for steering the design!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess I can throw out some pics and details of my new build. I bought this 4Runner (The Stormtrooper) a couple months ago and started refurbishing my old hail shield to fit it. I also added some rear shields. I used expanded metal for the rear Shields. I drilled holes around the rear windows and attached jack nuts ( an excellent recommendation from my friend James). I cut small squares in some floor mats to elevate the expanded metal off the window. Then I put a washer on either side of the expanded metal and inserted a machine screw. The hail shield for the windshield and side windows is the same from my previous car. I simply removed the rear window shield and replaced the lexan side fold downs with mesh side fold downs. The lexan was too heavy, and I couldn't get a hold of it to pull it down over the side windows.

939e1f14b234e3fbd62f75502bb2ae71.jpg

9f1276d393d24005e716a9eb64128e25.jpg

78d1b1745f0e82733d45e1f05786c0b7.jpg

f250cd0bd8a7c50710620a8fd200b0df.jpg

I guess I can throw out some pics and details of my new build. I bought this 4Runner (The Stormtrooper) a couple months ago and started refurbishing my old hail shield to fit it. I also added some rear shields. I used expanded metal for the rear Shields. I drilled holes around the rear windows and attached jack nuts ( an excellent recommendation from my friend James). I cut small squares in some floor mats to elevate the expanded metal off the window. Then I put a washer on either side of the expanded metal and inserted a machine screw. The hail shield for the windshield and side windows is the same from my previous car. I simply removed the rear window shield and replaced the lexan side fold downs with mesh side fold downs. The lexan was too heavy, and I couldn't get a hold of it to pull it down over the side windows.

View attachment 15236

View attachment 15237

View attachment 15238

View attachment 15239

Nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got a third option for ya if you're interested, which is much more sturdy and easy to use. We have a sun roof, so we built a custom roof rack for the truck to protect the sunroof and mount lights/cameras/etc on, and then fabricated a "hat lid" guard to hang over the front windshield. It was created so we could spend only a couple minutes to remove the windshield hail guard for when we aren't chasing, but I ended up liking the look so we kept it on. The windshield hail guard connects to the roof rack and is also supported with two 1x1x1/16" square tubing that comes back toward the windshield and is mounted right above the firewall. The hood has full range of motion and the front windshield is also protected from larger debris coming in at an angle. The front lid is also extremely sturdy, I can stand in the middle of it without worry of it failing, and I weigh 200lbs. We're also creating hail guards for the side windows now, so I'll share those when they're finished if you're interested.

5ee04967c6ea2dd1c6dfc277488420aa.jpg
65616d864f688cd22e5ff05c83f5e585.jpg
b5725d7b422fab17b46c53f54701279f.jpg
18effad4cb71c175ee6fd8ff9545a416.jpg
e221a2c60ed8271a531946bc8b0b6042.jpg

Back