Has anyone ever seen this??

jshields

i was looking at my local forecast on the noaa page for my region(Omaha) this morning and saw this:

Today Sunny, with a high near 66. Light south southeast wind increasing to 6 to 11 mph in the morning.
Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 48. South southeast wind 6 to 13 mph.
Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. South southeast wind 7 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 10pm and 1am, then a chance of drizzle and thunderstorms after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 57. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Monday Cloudy, with a high near 73. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 54.
Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 77.
Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62.
Wednesday A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 74.
Wednesday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some of the storms could be severe. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.

today is only saturday morning! i've never seen severe mentioned in the actual text forecast wording 4-5 days out. the afd doesn't even mention anything about severe storms either in the overnight update that would have put out this forecast. i wonder if it was some kind of a mistake or if this is some kind of a change in how early severe wording is issued. at the same time though, i would think this would only be done with bigger systems this far out and there isn't any model agreement on the upcoming weather pattern that far out. any thoughts or ideas?!!

That caught me eye also this morning. So I started looking at the AFD and SPC. I mean yeah there is a chance of storms, but wow.

I don't know if anyone has seen the GFS but there's a hell of a low blasting in with some good moisture return by Wednesday. Perhaps that's what they're picking up on.

Sounds like a bored forecaster to me. Rather than post inquiries here, you should contact the WFO and ask them. I can't speak for Nebraska, but my office welcomes that sort of feedback.

Perusing the Area Forecast Discussion from Friday night/Saturday morning, it had nothing in it about severe weather. I looked on Saturday morning and the NDFD graphics had no severe thunderstorm as explicit weather for that period at the same time the point and click text had the severe storms possible text. Something strange happened.

Back