Ham Radio Remote Head Mount

I found a nifty way to cleanly mount a remote head of a ham radio.

I have a Yaesu FT-8800 with a remote kit. I wanted to move the head from where it was mounted (bracket screwed to the dash) to a place near the rear view mirror.

What I did was I went to a U-pull-it junkyard today, bought a new center console for the jeep plus some other misc stuff i needed too.

While I was out there I pulled an interior rear view mirror from one of the cherokees I was pulling parts from, slow steady pressure will usually bust it off the glass. in fact if there is a wrecked one where the windshield is busted all up, the mirror might be lying on teh floor.

I got the rear view mirror for just a few bucks. I got home and took a hammer to the glass. then i was able to pop the plastic surround off of the mounting arm and bracket. It left me with a nice adjustable arm and a plastic pad onto which i then screwed my remote mount bracket too.

I then removed the metal mounting button from the mirror (the part that glues to the glass). On the way home from the junkyard I stopped at Autozone and picked up a permatex rear view mirror adhesive kit ($2.50). I then glued the button about an inch or so above the existing rear view in the jeep (it is very important to read and follow the directions on the package). After waiting the required 15 minutes. I put the mirror arm with the ham radio remote head bracket onto the mounting button and tightened the set screw. I then attached the remote head and ran the wire.

It looks extremely clean, it's adjustable, and it's cheap to do!

I'll try and get some pics of it tomorrow. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back