Autonomous Remote Controlled TIV?

Ashton S Lemley

Enthusiast
An idea popped in my head and I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet.

So the idea is basically a hybrid between a drone and the TIV.

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to somehow equip an offroad automobile or gas ATV with remote controlled steering, weather instruments, and camera so it can be driven into a tornado from a distance?

There's no telling how money it would take for a project like this.

It's not a horrible idea - but what would the purpose be? What sort of value would you hope to get from data inside of the funnel?

The type of data would of course be things like pressure, humidity, temperature, and wind speed. The purpose of capturing this kind of data may reveal small-scale structures within the tornado that were previously unknown and capture new data from subvortices in multiple-vortex tornadoes. Have cameras pointing up that could possibly capture "Eye-like" features inside large tornadoes.

Personally, I have no use for this kind of data.....I'm not a meteorologist. I'm just a photographer. I just wanted to toss the idea out there.

Ahh okay - thanks. The real need for data is outside of the tornado - but if you do develop this project, I'm sure people will take advantage of your pics :)

I highly doubt such an idea would be considered financially reasonable. People have been trying for decades to place instrument pods in front of tornadoes with limited success.

You've seen what you're gonna see from the TIV (see the 27 May 2013 TIV2 tornado intercept video for a look at the best you're going to see from a TIV-like vehicle).

Remote-controlled full-size street-legal vehicles are not a thing (as far as I'm aware), and I doubt they ever will be. Combined with Warren's comment above, it's just not practical to bother with such a venture unless you plan to be self-funded and do everything for yourself (i.e., nothing for society or science). I wouldn't blame you for doing that, but just be prepared to have to dole out all your money.

Back