Guess I Just Have to Laugh....

All summer long we've been unable to even buy a good storm here; I haven't even gotten one decent lightning shot this season yet. Tonight, I was sitting in a plane on the apron at the airport, waiting to take off to Toronto, to make a connection and visit my brother and his family in Ann Arbor, MI.

The captain came on over the speaker to announce that Pearson airport in Toronto was under a red alert (no arrivals or departures) due to severe weather, and that we'd sit for fifteen or twenty minutes to see if the red alert lifted. In the meantime, a large thunderstorm system began to encroach on the edge of the airfield, with amazing lightning.

After about twenty minutes, the captain came on once again to announce that severe weather was ongoing in Toronto and that our flight was cancelled.

By the time I got off the airplane, collected my luggage and made it home, the lightning was mostly over, so nada for pictures. :p

Well, at least we got a storm. But, why do I feel like Homer Simpson? :lol:

John
VE4 JTH

Yeah, those storms had INSANE lightning, by far the best I've ever seen. The sky above me was clear, with the moon and stars shining... A line of convection/large Cb's to the north resulted in multiple continuous cloud-to-cloud and cloud-to-ground strikes. For about an hour, there wasn't a period without at least two consecutive flashes. I estimate that I was visually seeing 60-80 flashes per minute for a good chunk of the time.

What really made for so much lightning was the fact that storms to the north were nearly stationary, and arced around my location covering all the northeast, north, northwest, and west sides of me...

Back