Grlevelx Radar Archive?

Hey are there any radar archives of past events available for download and usage in Grlevelx?

If so, can you please point me to them? Thx

Hey anyone know where Grlevelx stores it's downloaded files? I did a search for *.gr3 (native format) and couldn't find anything or in the directory. Does it kill the files on close?

Also, for using archive files is it just download untar if necessary and drag and drop the the running application to view? And if so, will it maintain the original radar timestamp or update to current time?

Bill, here's how I view archived radar on GR Level 2:

First I select the office, date and time from the NCDC site and order my files. When they are ready I click on the link in the email, download the .TAR files which can take a long time because they are huge, then UNTAR them with WINRAR (after which they become .Z files, then open up GR Level 2, go to file-open, locate the desired .Z file, and open it. After opening it you can switch between different tilts, reflectivity/velocity, pan and zoom just as you would a live radar image on GR Level 3. You can also save them as .PNG to make them into actual "image" files per se.

It does keep the original radar time stamp, in UTC time.

20040523_ref5.png

20040523_ref6.png

20040523_velocity.png

Man, that's some sweet looking stuff Andy. Drooling over supercell radar signatures is going to get me hyped up for chasing and then I won't be able to think/do anything else :lol: .

Is it true that you can use the Grlevel2 tool for level 2 & 3 data, but you can only access level 3 data with the Grlevel3 tool? I ask because I notice Allisonhouse has a subscription which provides both level 2 and 3 data. Not sure how you would do it otherwise unless you owned both viewers and if you did why would you ever want to use Level 3 data if you already have Level 2?

On another note I just tried to go to Allisonhouse www.allisonhouse.com and the links aren't working. Maybe temporarily down.

Is it true that you can use the Grlevel2 tool for level 2 & 3 data, but you can only access level 3 data with the Grlevel3 tool?
No.

GRL2 is for Level 2 only
GRL3 is for Level 3 only

I ask because I notice Allisonhouse has a subscription which provides both level 2 and 3 data. Not sure how you would do it otherwise unless you owned both viewers

You would need both viewers

and if you did why would you ever want to use Level 3 data if you already have Level 2?

L2 data does not have all the derived products that folks find useful. Also L2 data is SUBSTANTIALLY larger so it may (probably?) not be suitable for chasers.

On another note I just tried to go to Allisonhouse www.allisonhouse.com and the links aren't working. Maybe temporarily down.

figures :) I'm in the process of upgrading, moving and purchasing new servers to get ready for the 2006 storm season. DNS has to update around the world and could take 24-72 hours based on the policies of your ISP. Data servers were/are not impacted but the main website is, as is the forum.

Back