GRL3 GPS usage and Placefile Locations/Help for Dummies

• Thread starter Darrin Rasberry
  • Start date

Darrin Rasberry

I am planning on using GRL3 for chasing on my N10J netbook, and it fortunately runs like a dream with my data card. However, my old (big) laptop got dropped, so I can't get it booted up to steal my old placefiles. I've forgotten which ones to grab, where they are, and how to install them.

If you want to know what I would like, just lead me to the files you have. I would call the following necessary:

*At least a half-decent map system in case I can get the GPS thingy to work with my laptop (see below)
*Surface conditions with barbs, etc. updated hourly so I can keep up with changing situations.
*Spotter reports.
*Spotter network so I can see where everyone is, follow them, and pretend I did it all myself :D (J/K I would actually use this on the street level to make sure I'm not all by myself in a dangerous position, particularly after dark when I can't see, since I'm still a newb)
*SPC update outline
*All other goodies/improvements you may have.

I will need to know where to ... place the place files. I remember it being easy, but I can't remember how to do it and I can't find help on the grlx website.

Also, is it possible to put my TomTom unit into a USB port and have the GPS show up on GRL3? I would love to know how to do this from anyone who has experience with TomTom units, if they in fact CAN work in this manner with GRL3.

Finally, any GR2AE placefiles/GPS advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Tom units will not work with GR3. Your best best is to get a puck gps off ebay for $15

I am planning on using GRL3 for chasing on my N10J netbook, and it fortunately runs like a dream with my data card. However, my old (big) laptop got dropped, so I can't get it booted up to steal my old placefiles. I've forgotten which ones to grab, where they are, and how to install them.

If you want to know what I would like, just lead me to the files you have. I would call the following necessary:

*At least a half-decent map system in case I can get the GPS thingy to work with my laptop (see below)
*Surface conditions with barbs, etc. updated hourly so I can keep up with changing situations.
*Spotter reports.
*Spotter network so I can see where everyone is, follow them, and pretend I did it all myself :D (J/K I would actually use this on the street level to make sure I'm not all by myself in a dangerous position, particularly after dark when I can't see, since I'm still a newb)
*SPC update outline
*All other goodies/improvements you may have.

I will need to know where to ... place the place files. I remember it being easy, but I can't remember how to do it and I can't find help on the grlx website.

Also, is it possible to put my TomTom unit into a USB port and have the GPS show up on GRL3? I would love to know how to do this from anyone who has experience with TomTom units, if they in fact CAN work in this manner with GRL3.

Finally, any GR2AE placefiles/GPS advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

How's it going, Darrin.... funny you should bring this up tonight as I was just downloading some place and shape files.

http://grlevel3.tornadocentral.com/
(from our very own Jeff Snyder)

These should be some of what you want. These are place files. (use with place file manager, read instructions on some of the downloads so you can get exactly what you want -- it's easy)

Myself... I need to find a good source of shape files for roads and whatnot...

I tried it with Weather Defender and it does not though it works with Streets and Trips 2009. That's why i asked. Thanks

Are you sharing the signal? I use the same GPS puck sharing the signal among GRL3, Streets & Trips, Spotter Network with no problems. I use a program from GPSGate to emulate additional com ports(split the signal from the GPS).

http://franson.com/gpsgate/download.asp

Jeff

Rock solid! Thanks for the help.

Anyone with decent street-level placefiles? Would be a good reason to keep the (unattachable) TomTom separate on my dash, but I dunno if GPS will work too well under a storm. I've never had it before.

Rock solid! Thanks for the help.

Anyone with decent street-level placefiles?

The TIGER Files are huge, but if you can't locate them online, I'll be glad to send you a CD. I have the plains states only. AFAIK, they are on grlevel3stuff.com, though. Some other good place files (like roadsigns and other stuff) there, too, as well as palletes.

Would be a good reason to keep the (unattachable) TomTom separate on my dash, but I dunno if GPS will work too well under a storm. I've never had it before.

A decent puck will work under the storm just fine. Mine even worked in the middle of a solidly-constructed commercial building not long ago.

Back