Great tornadoes of the past (info)

50 years ago there was the Ruskin tornado. Remarkable path and power. See the link here for more that was in the Kansas City Star on 5/13/07.
see the accounts of the people at specific spots along the path (picture of path below)
Includes

Ruskin Heights tornado: 50 years later
Half a century later, the powerful storm of May 20, 1957, still evokes haunting memories.

• Path of destruction | Interactive graphic/video

Posted on Sun, May. 13, 2007
http://www.kansascity.com/115/v-print/story/105092.html
After 50 years, Ruskin tornado’s horror still seared into memories

It smashed churches, schools, stores and hundreds of homes, a rolling cloud of fury that killed at least 39 people, injured more than 500 and traumatized many more.
Half a century later, the Ruskin Heights tornado of May 20, 1957, still evokes haunting memories.
The Star marks the coming anniversary of the tornado with recollections of storm survivors from south Kansas City as well as eastern Kansas, where the twister originated. It gouged a 71-mile path from southwest Franklin County, through Ottawa and Spring Hill, before arriving in the Kansas City area.
The links on this page trace the tornado’s path, and storm survivors recall its impact five decades later. Near misses are recounted, as well as tragedies.
Post that you know of , see etc

Great information, Eric. I am also a bit of a weather historian and I am quite interested in this and any other such stories. Perhaps you have seen my previous posts on the 1925 Tri-State Tornado and the 1970 Lubbock Tornado. Currently I am trying to assemble information on the 1953 Waco Tornado, which appears to resemble your Ruskin Tornado quite a bit.

According to my book on the Tri-State, the NWS at the time refused to issue tornado watches for fear it would cause panic, even though numerous of their meteorologists had noticed that conditions of the time exactly matched those for other times when strong tornadoes had formed. The official forecast for that area for the day of March 18 called for "rain, with strong shifting winds", which the author called a classic understatement. How true....

Back