Great timing

I just got home and wanted to check out the NWS forecast for my area. I click on my town to get the forecast and the webpage for the forecasts is down. I tried other towns and areas in the Cleveland NWS area, and outside, and no go. Anyone else having this problem. Last I heard, 10-20 inches of snow is expected for us.

Chris,

I just checked it out and it worked fine for me and Canton is under a winter storm warning still for most of Ohio. They are expecting 10-15 inches by rush hour and another 5-8 overnight. Storm totals are to range from 10-18 inches with isolated spots seeing up to 20 inches. Also winds gusting to 30mph will cause significant blowing and drifting snow.

Hope that helps any.

I've been having trouble accessing a number of different wx websites today. I'm assuming that with so many people affected by so much weather around the country today, the sites are getting bogged down.

Pretty much every NWS site in the northeast is down. It's been slow since this morning, and now you can't get any forecasts by clicking on the map or entering a zip code.

Text forecasts are still working.

I've complained about this in the past. It seems like the NWS has one of the worst up-time records. They get hit especially hard when there is significant weather occuring or about to occur.

I'm able to access it again. There is a big problem if they cannot handle large amounts of people accessing their sites. They provide service to 300 million people. Need to upgrade I think :p

NOUS42 KWNO 121942
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS CAMP SPRINGS MD
240 PM EST MON FEB 12 2007

FOR THE PAST SEVERAL DAYS HIGH DEMAND HAS PUSHED NCEP WEB
SERVERS TO CAPACITY. JUDGING BY RECENT DAYS THE HIGH DEMAND
PERIOD RUNS FROM ABOUT 1530Z UNTIL 1730Z. DURING THIS
PERIOD USERS HAVE HAD DIFFICULTY ACCESSING NCEP WEB SITES.
A SIMILAR PERIOD HAS BEEN OCCURRING FROM ABOUT 0330Z UNTIL
0530Z.

NCEP TECHNICAL STAFF IS CURRENTLY WORKING ON TRYING TO
PROVIDE SOME RELIEF FOR THESE PROBLEMS. CURRENTLY DEMAND
IS VERY HIGH AND AT CAPACITY. THERE ARE FURTHER PLANNED
UPGRADES TO FURTHER INCREASE CAPACITY WITHIN THE COMING
WEEKS. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE..

NEWBY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

It seems like its down again.

Everything was running just after lunch. I'm guessing everyone was diligently working back at their desks, but now eyes have begun to wander again.

Edit: Looks like they dumped the point forecasts and just reverted back to county or zones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, now all the clickable maps work for the northeast...but the forecasts haven't been updated for 8 to 15 hours. I'm looking at the forecast for my area from 5pm last night. If you're savvy and can get to the text pages some of those are updated, but Burlington and Albany still have old forecasts.

A website that is down is bad, but now the information is just plain out of date. Last night the forecast for my area was for a change to rain. The current forecast is all sleet and freezing rain, but the general public can't find this data.

It's also easy to tell who the good tv meteorologists are. On my local Fox they are still using the old forecast while ABC is right on the ball.

"On my local Fox they are still using the old forecast"

If they are meteorologists, the status of the NWS website has no bearing on the issue... We don't use the NWS forecast page for any purpose.

===

nous71 kvuy 141054
admerh

alert administrative message
national weather service charleston sc
553 am est wed feb 14 2007

to: eastern region wfos
fm: wfo charleston sc

most if not all eastern region point and click forecasts on the web
are either not available or are displaying old data. we have sent a
page to erh to try and initiate corrective action.

$$

"On my local Fox they are still using the old forecast"

If they are meteorologists, the status of the NWS website has no bearing on the issue... We don't use the NWS forecast page for any purpose.

Yeah, like I said...Fox.

My zone just got upgraded to an ice storm warning. The only way to know this is by reading the discussion, something the public has never even heard of.

This is what my NWS said in their latest disc:

.EQUIPMENT...
ATTENTION ALL USERS...POINT AND CLICK FORECASTS ON THE NWS UPTON
WEBPAGE ARE NOT UPDATING AT THIS TIME. OUR REGIONAL HQ HAS BEEN
NOTIFIED AND WILL BE WORKING ON THE PROBLEM. THIS PROBLEM
APPEARS TO BE AFFECTING NEIGHBORING WFOS INCLUDING BOX/ALY/BGM/PHI
AT THIS TIME. USERS CAN FIND UPDATED WEATHER INFORMATION BY CLICKING
ON THE /LOCAL WEATHER/ LINK ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE OF THE MAIN WFO
UPTON HOMEPAGE...THEN SELECTING THE TEXT PRODUCT OF INTEREST. THE
LATEST ZONE FORECAST PRODUCT CAN BE FOUND BY SELECTING THE INDICATED
LINK BELOW THE POINT AND CLICK MAP.

Back