Google API modules

Mike Gauldin

I was just toying around and decided to go ahead and register with Google. Then I discovered their personalized home-page. THEN I realized how they have it setup so that you can add custom modules to it. So I was thinking, how many people out there, assuming you had a personalized Google main page, would like to see something like SPC products or maybe some other type of weather maps/feeds. I've recently become addicted to stuff like this. The modules are XML, which I have yet to learn, but I'm thinking about maybe making a simple something. It's pretty cool how you can set the page up, move items around, and they're there everytime you go to Google something.

I do have my Google page set up to display the SPC RSS feeds... Having the maps would be cool as well.

Yeah, I'm thinking about trying to throw one of those together here soon after I learn enough xml to get by, heh. We'll see what happens.

ADDITION: Hey, this isn't so bad. I should have one made real fast. Any suggestions on what to have? I'm thinking like SPC MDs, Outlook, National WWA. Later on I'll need to figure out how to program in stuff per city or state. This is neat, I like Google.

XML is EASY to understand...elements, attributes, and data

<Element>
<Element>
<Element attribute1="3" attribute2="foo"/>
<Element>data</Element>
</Element>
</Element>

Those are just naming conventions...an easier example:

<GROWS_ON_TREES>
<Fruits>
<Peach taste="yummy" color="orangish-red"/>
<Orange taste="yummier" color="orange"/>
</Fruits>
<Nuts>
<Acorn taste="ok" color="light-brown"
<Walnut taste="blech" color="darker-brown"
</Nuts>
</GROWS_ON_TREES>

Elements: GROWS_ON_TREES, Fruits, Nuts, Peach, Orange, Acorn, Walnut
Attributes: taste, color

Or you can use data instead of attributes (or a mix):
<GROWS_ON_TREES>
<Fruits>
<Peach>
<taste>yummy</taste>
<color>orangish-red"</color>
</Peach>
<Orange>
<taste>yummier</taste>
<color>orange</color>
</Fruits>
<Nuts>
<Acorn taste="ok" color="light-brown"
<Walnut taste="blech" color="darker-brown"
</Nuts>
</GROWS_ON_TREES>

Data: yummy, orangish-red, yummier, orange

I think phpBB takes out spacing so I apologize if it's not tabbed appropriately.

At any rate, I love XML because you can even use it as a database and create your own elements and attributes. You might want to look up what "well-formed XML" means as well.

I've done preference manager XML files for programs at work...so if you got any questions, ask and maybe I can help you.

I've done preference manager XML files for programs at work...so if you got any questions, ask and maybe I can help you.

Is there a way to embed an existing rss/xml feed (i.e. SPC MDs) into the .XML I'm working on?

Is there a way to embed an existing rss/xml feed (i.e. SPC MDs) into the .XML I'm working on?

Isn't it just as easy as copying and pasting the code if you know the source. ie. if you have an existing rss/xml feed, you should be able to add the new one right in. I believe the ticker at rssnewsticker.com uses the same idea. You can turn various feeds on and off through the preferences.

If you download that, and then plug in the feeds you want to subscribe to, you should be able to find the xml file the program uses to store all those locations of the feeds.

I would probably also be using Google for my "Home Page" were it not that I discovered "My Yahoo" just a couple days before I found that Google offers their thing.

I have My Yahoo set up with every bookmark that is also on my computer, as well as the many other goodies that My Yahoo allows.

Not to step on toes, LOL, but it has long been my routine to go straight to the ST Data page when I hit a library while chasing. That will no longer be my routine in 2006. From now on, I will be going straight to "my own" bookmarks by logging into My Yahoo. There are a few favs on my computer and in My Yahoo that aren't easy, or possible, to access from ST Data, but with all my bookmarks readily accessible from My Yahoo, I will be looking at EXACTLY what I want to see...fast and seamlessly. Sweet, sweet, sweet!

Bob

I submitted an SPC MD with image and SPC feed on it, I'll let you know if Google puts it up.

Back