GFS: Winter storm by 10/13

Dan Robinson

GFS: Major US storm 10/12 through 10/15

Quite the Canadian low shaping up on the GFS for next week, bringing late November to the Plains and Midwest. This will be interesting to watch.

octsnow3.jpg

octsnow1.jpg

octsnow2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree i was watching WGN news at noon and tom skilling (one of the only tv meteorologist whose opinion i respect) said by late next week the models were predicting snow flurries for chicagoland and i was like what you must be crazy it was 80 degrees the other day and in the 70s coming up this weekend, but he said the temperatures all the way in the northern frontier have plummeted to 9 below so something is coming down the tracks, i just hope chicago isnt in the way because i hate winter weather!!!!

Very interesting indeed! That GFS forecast from this mornign indicates that potential for the first frost of the season for a very large chunk of the central and eastern US... It looks like the first frost of the fall could be a few weeks ahead of schedule for many of the locales south of I70 if this pans out. Of course, this is a highly anomous event (HPS mentions that 500mb heights are over 4 standard deviations below the mean over the northcentral US next week!), and ensemble spread is pretty high. But hey, at least it's something different and exciting!

522 Thicknesses into New York already? Yuck. Looks like post-Fropa will contain snow showers in the Northeast and New England...not to mention significant Lake Effect Snows off of Lake Ontario if this verifies.

There is a slight possibility of some wintery weather that you can see on TV even before then: Monday.

Bronco's fans (and CO ski areas!) are keeping one eye on the forecast for the MNF contest vs. the Ravens. The temp is progged to only dip into the 40's for the game, but (upslope) precip is also in the cards. The ski areas would go nuts with reservations if it turns into a big snow event in Denver during the game, as famously happened some years ago.

Definitely will have to watch the next few runs. If they hold true, many of us will see our first snow flakes!! :)

How about 510 thicknesses over OMA Thursday morning at 12Z?! See 12Z GFS.

If these models are even close to being right, this is going to be a *fun* week. Warm sector severe looks like a good possibility on Thursday - look at those 60F+ dews in the Ohio Valley out ahead of this. All followed by freezing temps and snow all the way down the Appalachians into North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia on Friday.

A tv station weather blog mentions that GFS Bufkit is forecasting
7 inches of snow for Grand Rapids, Michigan starting next Thursday
evening.

That must have been the 12Z run, the 06Z had a few flurries (which shows you how unusable specifics are for now...)

wow just checked out the forecast for next week for my area......wednesday 65 with scattered T storms thursday mostly cloudy 44 a 21 degree job in a day, its not HUGE but i think maybe wednesday could be a decent svr weather day as of right now probably wont be but wishful thinking

This is truly incredible considering we (Moline) just set an all time October maximum temperature at 95° last Tuesday.

What an incredible swing in weather.

Back