Freezing Fog?

Listening to NOAA radio this morning I heard the voice say chance of "Freezing Fog tonight" Just to make sure I heard right I listen again on the way home and twice the voice said it.

Is this a mistake, or As anybody ever heard of Freezing Fog???? :confused:

We had freezing fog early last week and it made everything so very pretty except the roads. Schools delayed and then cancelled as you could not see 50' in it.

Anytime it is below freezing and the visibility is below 5/8 of a mile than you have freezing fog. I have seen it quite a bit, then again, I worked on the summit of Mount Washington. Quite often you'll see freezing fog reports during heavy snow. This happens because snow is reducing the visibility to below 5/8th's so fog gets coded by the observer. And, since its below freezing it has to be coded as freezing fog.

Don't get this confused with ice fog though. Ice fog is much more rare, and I think the temperature has to be less than -40.

Freezing fog in Indiana

As Jim mentioned above, Central and Northern Indiana experienced this just last week. I got some fantastic pictures including several cars in the middle of fields (mostly at T intersections) But I have never seen fog that was so sporadic. I live near the Wabash River where fog is not uncommon within a couple miles but this fog was non-existent near the river and NO visibility once you got into the country. Accompanying the freezin' fog was some fantastic hoar frost (around 1/4 inch frost hairs).

Sadly I cannot immediately post any pictures because of USB problems.

It happens occasionally here in SW Idaho during the winter months. I live in a valley, so the inversions get quite severe when there is a stagnant weather pattern and little or no winds. I don't mind regular fog, however, when it involves ice, I absolutely hate it. I almost got into a serious auto accident last winter because of freezing fog...very dangerous. Combining fog and icy roads is probably one of the worst conditions you can encounter.

It happens occasionallyhere in SW Idaho during the winter months. I live in a valley, so the inversions get quite severe when there is a stagnant weather pattern and little or no winds. I don't mind regular fog, however, when it involves ice, I absolutely hate it. I almost got into a serious auto accident last winter because of freezing fog...very dangerous. Combining fog and icy roads is probably one of the worst conditions you can encounter.

I forgot about that. When I lived in Salt Lake City we would get freezing fog all the time. Stagnant, winter inversions would choke the city with thick fog for days on end.

Where I live in Waterloo, Ontario, we sometimes get freezing fog, in fact we just had it this morning. Very dull out there, can't wait for spring!

Back